Search Community

ScrollTrigger & Parallax Backgrounds: How to avoid white around the image

JulieAutobots test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hello! I'm trying to get ScrollTrigger-powered parallax background images to cooperate, and would appreciate a nudge in the right direction. Basically what I've noticed is that if the section with the parallax background image isn't 100% of the viewport height, and/or the background images given are inconsistent sizes across different sections, I end up seeing white around the edges of the image.

I'm following the parallax background demo code closely, so I modified that codepen to demonstrate the issue I'm facing. All I changed were the dimensions of the picsum background images, and the section height from 100vh to 60vh. As you scroll through, you should be able to see white peeking around the top and/or bottom of the images depending on your screen size. 

Is there any way to make sure this doesn't happen? I can't rely on consistent section heights or background image dimensions.

Thank you!

See the Pen bGLQoyV by jbarkun (@jbarkun) on CodePen

• 9 months later...

Great catch, @Sgt. Red Pepper. That's because when you go to an extreme enough portrait aspect ratio, there's not enough image due to the background-size being set to cover. The images get set to match exactly what their parent section is, thus there's no extra for it to expose for parallax. 

I've updated the original to use a completely different technique:

See the Pen rNJQPXz?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

There's a helper function that basically resizes the background images in a way that ensures there's enough of an overlap to work with, and you can change the "movementFactor" variable to control how much the backgrounds move. You can even set it to a negative value to invert the direction. 

Better? 

Here's the OLD one for reference (DO NOT USE THIS)

See the Pen QWZyyBK?editors=0110 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 3