Search Community

I inserted the ScrollSmoother code, but it doesn't work properly.

goodcontext test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hello.
I have pasted the ScrollSmoother code to the top of the js file.
However, when I press F12 and enter developer mode, an error like a screenshot appears.
And the timeline or ScrollTrigger codes, which were originally working normally, are not working properly.
Why is it like this? I think I did something wrong, but I don't know what it is.

The code below is pasted to the top of the js file.

gsap.registerPlugin('ScrollSmoother', 'ScrollTrigger', 'TextPlugin');

const smoother = ScrollSmoother.create({
  wrapper: "#smooth-wrapper",
  content: "#smooth-content",
  smooth: 1,
  normalizeScroll: true, // prevents address bar from showing/hiding on most devices, solves various other browser inconsistencies
  ignoreMobileResize: true, // skips ScrollTrigger.refresh() on mobile resizes from address bar showing/hiding
  effects: true,
  preventDefault: true
 });

error_report.jpg

It's weird.
I copied all the HTML, CSS, and JS files into the code pen, uploaded all the image files, and made them exactly the same, but it works well.
So I looked into the head part of the HTML, but I can't find the problem.
ScrollSmoother is the latest version.

There are two discoveries.

1. If you paste the ScrollSmoother code below on top of the js file, the code at the top will not work. However, if you put the code again at the bottom of the js file, some of the code will work, and some of the code will not work.

2. If you enter "scroller: '.class_name'" in the timeline, it will work.
But the reason why this doesn't solve it is because I use two timelines, but the positions of the two timelines are far apart, so if the timelines above work, the timelines below seem to start at the same time.

If you scroll down slowly, the timeline below is already run.

But it works fine on the code pen.
Why is it like this?

const smoother = ScrollSmoother.create({
  wrapper: "#smooth-wrapper",
  content: "#smooth-content",
  smooth: 1,
  normalizeScroll: true, // prevents address bar from showing/hiding on most devices, solves various other browser inconsistencies
  ignoreMobileResize: true, // skips ScrollTrigger.refresh() on mobile resizes from address bar showing/hiding
  effects: true,
  preventDefault: true
 });

• Solution

Hi @goodcontext. It's virtually impossible for us to troubleshoot blind or by just looking at snippets of code. If it works on CodePen but not in your local setup, I would recommend creating a SUPER simple demo locally (literally a <div> or two, colored, just to start). Slowly build it up until it breaks. There's something different between your local setup and CodePen. Unfortunately, we can't possibly tell you what it is but hopefully if you isolate things well, you'll be able to discover what it is. 

By the way, this is wrong:

// BAD - don't register strings:

// GOOD
gsap.registerPlugin(ScrollTrigger, ScrollSmoother, TextPlugin);

And there's no such thing as "preventDefault" on a ScrollSmoother. That won't break anything - it just gets ignored. 

• Like 1