Search Community

The object in Draggable does not listen to the mousedown event, but the click and touch events are fine

lzy100p test
Moderator Tag

Hello @lzy100p

This here from the docs could help:

allowEventDefault Boolean - If true, preventDefault() won't be called on the original mouse/pointer/touch event. This can be useful if you want to permit the default behavior like touch-scrolling. Typically, however, it's best to let Draggable call preventDefault() on the events in order to deliver the best usability with dragging.

See the Pen YzeaOPg by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cassie said:

Just jumping in with a fork of @akapowl's pen - he's correct but you hadn't defined the d2 variable anywhere so nothing was firing.

Interesting. It does fire for me in Chrome on Windows.

Actually I remember Tom Miller and Alex Trost discussing this in the recent TrostCodes live-stream where both built a 3D-ScrollTrigger image-gallery - I think I saw you in the chat there, too @Cassie - but I also think they talked about it rather close to the beginning, so probably before you entered the chat :) 

When you do not define the variable in JS, some browsers will automatically target IDs of HTML elements with that respective name - apparently some browsers do not do that. So definitely defining the variable to target the element in JS will be more secure.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm totally on board with that - especially since it does not appear to be consistant across browsers.

Here is where they had mentioned it in that live-stream

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1486428887?t=22m18s

And here is another reference - I love the 'When should you use this?' part in there - TLDR: "Never, ever, ever, ever in your actual code base." 😅

https://gomakethings.com/your-browser-automatically-creates-javascript-variables-for-elements-with-an-id/

https://dev.to/buntine/dom-elements-with-ids-are-global-variables

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wow I'm late -just seeing this thread now :)

I 100% agree, one shouldn't rely on IDs to become global vars in any actual project. That said, it's a cheap shortcut for making concise demos.

If you really wanted that behavior (I've worked for a few agencies that do this), you could loop over all the elements with an ID and make them global vars, like so:

[].forEach.call(document.querySelectorAll('*'), function(el){ if (el.id) window[el.id] = el; }); // IDs to vars

However, for future readers/editors of the code, it's kind of nice to see clearer variable definitions...sort of an intro to the cast of characters.

• Like 2