Search Community

ScrollTrigger + Locomotive on mobile breaks

Dallah test
Moderator Tag

Hi, I have an issue with the locomotive scroll and scroll trigger pin, but it's only happening on mobile. This issue can also be seen on the scrollProxy doc example in codepen

Somehow, the moment the scroll enters the pin section and the scroll speed is too fast, there will be a flash of white space that only appears for a few milliseconds. As seen in this video. Sometimes the section event gets detached and stacked on top of the other section

White space: 00:05 00:24. 
Section detached: 00:42

Thanks for your help and for this amazing product!

* Recorded on Android

See the Pen zYrELYe by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

I think it's related to how mobile safari on iOS works, when you scroll up or down, sometimes the browser adress bar or bottom nav bar dissapears/appears which is resizing the browser, meaning the positions are being recalculated. That's why you see the flash, because the content is moving. I hope I explained that right.

You should try using gsap scroll smoother (has the same options like locomotive scroll) and also try normalizeScroll().

If this doesn't work, then there's another option using css and 2 lines of js, but it will force the browser to always display navbar and adress bar and also you won't be able to scroll to top by tapping top edge of the screen like you normally do.

• Like 3

Yep, that's due to the fact that the browser is handling scroll repainting on a DIFFERENT THREAD than the main JS one. So when you scroll quickly to a spot beyond where the pinning starts/ends, the browser is repainting the page as if it scrolled past but then a few milliseconds later the main thread executes and ScrollTrigger says "HEY! Pin that element" (but the browser had already repainted beyond that spot). 

As far as I know, LocomotiveScroll basically turns itself off on mobile/touch devices. 

You could try calling ScrollTrigger.normalizeScroll(true) and see if that helps because it basically forces scrolling to be done on the main thread. 

Another solution is to use ScrollSmoother instead of LocomotiveScroll :)

• Like 2

I'm having a tough time seeing it, but I'd strongly recommend trying ScrollSmoother instead of LocomotiveScroll. You can try it on CodePen for free as much as you want using this special URL (which won't work properly on other domains): 

https://assets.codepen.io/16327/ScrollSmoother.min.js

More info: https://greensock.com/docs/v3/Plugins/ScrollSmoother

Yeah, ScrollSmoother is really promising but currently, I only need it for a small side project.
anyway, I really appreciate the time you spent answering the questions in this forum. Thanks!

• Like 1