Search Community

pinSpacing for element shorter than 100vh

Michael Baumer test
Moderator Tag

When pinning elements that are shorter than 100 viewport height, there is whitespace added below the pinned element. For elements 100vh or larger this is a non issue since the whitespace is below the fold.

However, if I want to pin an element that doesn't take up the whole viewport, how can this be accomplished?

See the Pen MWQYejW by rmbaumer (@rmbaumer) on CodePen

I think the issue I'm running into is pinning multiple animations within the wrapper. When I use the wrapper approach, the start/end markers on subsequent animations aren't being calculated as expected. It looks like the height of the pinned sections is not being accounted for:

See the Pen eYVmgBN by rmbaumer (@rmbaumer) on CodePen

So, if I don't use a wrapper, the animation start markers are correct but there is whitespace below. If I use a wrapper, there is no whitespace, but the start marker is off for all subsequent animations.

Is there a way around this?

24 minutes ago, Michael Baumer said:

Is there a way around this?

Yes, the pinnedContainer property. You'll need to set it for every subsequent ScrollTrigger within the same wrapper and thus the same pin-spacer.

pinnedContainer Element | String - If your ScrollTrigger's trigger/endTrigger element is INSIDE an element that gets pinned by another ScrollTrigger (pretty uncommon), that would cause the start/end positions to be thrown off by however long that pin lasts, so you can set the pinnedContainer to that parent/container element to have ScrollTrigger calculate those offsets accordingly. Again, this is very rarely needed. (added in 3.7.0)

• Like 3