Search Community

Issue with ScrollSmoother + ScrollTrigger

jillianadriana test
Moderator Tag

Hey friends,

I have an animation/ScrollTrigger setup that I've designed and it works as it should in CodePen without ScrollSmoother added.

See the Pen MWQYwJP by jillianadriana (@jillianadriana) on CodePen

But it doesn't seem to be working with ScrollSmoother.

And then in my actual development environment, the code just doesn't work as it should. The only way I can even get the animation to play is to scroll back up and scroll back down 🤔

What am I doing wrong, here? I've been trying to figure it out for 3 days.

See the Pen abqbBMZ by jillianadriana (@jillianadriana) on CodePen

2 minutes ago, PointC said:

We can't troubleshoot a live site

Oh! I mean, it's not actually live. Last week Cassie helped me with the header/menu.

I will keep playing, I guess.

3 minutes ago, PointC said:

If you update those to 3.10.4

Oh, duh. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, jillianadriana said:

Oh! I mean, it's not actually live.

Understood. I just meant that we can't dive into all the code of a complete website. That's why we ask for a minimal demo. If you can show any problems with a just few divs and it's GSAP related, I'm confident we can help you.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jillianadriana said:

The issue is that my CodePen works properly but the code doesn't appear to work on my actual site.

Then the key will be for you to isolate what is different between the CodePen and your live site. Typically it's best to start with a greatly simplified version (like your CodePen) and then slowly build it up to be more and more like your "real" site until it breaks and then you'll see what the problem was much more clearly. The first thing I'd recommend is to make absolutely sure you're using the latest version of all the GSAP files on your live site. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreenSock said:

Then the key will be for you to isolate what is different between the CodePen and your live site. Typically it's best to start with a greatly simplified version (like your CodePen) and then slowly build it up to be more and more like your "real" site until it breaks and then you'll see what the problem was much more clearly. The first thing I'd recommend is to make absolutely sure you're using the latest version of all the GSAP files on your live site. 

Thank you for that explanation! That's kind of what I've been doing all weekend.

I didn't actually realize there was another update to GSAP. Is there a way for me to be notified when it is? Maybe I'm just missing it somewhere.

1 minute ago, jillianadriana said:

I didn't actually realize there was another update to GSAP. Is there a way for me to be notified when it is?

We typically send out email announcements for releases EXCEPT patches (when the last number changes in something like 3.10.x) because we're so sensitive to not wanting to spam people with emails. Trust is super valuable to us and rather than blast emails out regularly and condition people to ignore us, we want to have more of a posture like "when GreenSock sends an email, it's pretty significant and I should listen". Perhaps we should consider tweeting or something like that to notify of patch releases. We're open to suggestions. Sorry about any confusion there.

That makes total sense and as someone with an inbox full of unopened emails, I appreciate that.

I would certainly appreciate a notification for patches, but I understand that's a whole new SOP for your team and can be time consuming.

I will try to be more diligent in checking.

• Like 1