Search Community

VideoLoader memory leak?

jaybionic test
Moderator Tag

Alright, so what I am doing is loading in 4 videos and placing them into a 'background' MovieClip. Then when transitioning between the 4 pages, I play a video transition. What I am seeing is that my memory slowly increases on each transition. I have found that it is caused by playing the current video during the transition, and eventually it crashes Flash CS4. Any thoughts on this?

Loading code:

_queue.append(new VideoLoader(xml.page[i].@backgroundVideo, { name:xml.page[i].@title, width:1400, height:900, alpha:0, visible:false, container:model.backgroundHolder, autoPlay:false } ));

Transition code:

var vid_curr:ContentDisplay = ContentDisplay(mainBackground_mc.getChildByName(model.pages[_currPanel]));
var vid_prev:ContentDisplay = ContentDisplay(mainBackground_mc.getChildByName(model.pages[_prevPanel]));

VideoLoader(vid_curr.loader).gotoVideoTime(0);

mainBackground_mc.swapChildren(vid_curr, vid_prev);

var loader:VideoLoader = VideoLoader(vid_curr.loader);
TweenMax.to(vid_prev, 1, { autoAlpha:0 } );
TweenMax.to(vid_curr, 1.25, { autoAlpha:1, loader.playVideo } );

I think there must be something else going on in your code - I just tried this and there was no memory leak at all:

var v1:VideoLoader = new VideoLoader("assets/1.flv", {container:this, autoPlay:false});
var v2:VideoLoader = new VideoLoader("assets/2.f4v", {container:this, autoPlay:false});
v1.load();
v2.load();

var curLoader:VideoLoader = v1;
swap();

function swap():void {
TweenMax.to(curLoader.content, 0.5, {autoAlpha:0, onComplete:curLoader.pauseVideo});
if (curLoader == v1) {
	curLoader = v2;
} else {
	curLoader = v1;
}
addChild(curLoader.content);
curLoader.playVideo();
TweenMax.to(curLoader.content, 0.5, {autoAlpha:1});
TweenLite.delayedCall(2, swap);
trace(System.totalMemory);
}

Did you pause the video after it finished transitioning out? And are you using the latest version? http://www.LoaderMax.com

I have v1.5 of LoaderMax. It is strange, it seems to happen when I try to cast the ContentDisplay var as a VideoLoader type.

So when I do just this within my function, I see the memory issue:

var vid_curr:ContentDisplay = ContentDisplay(mainBackground_mc.getChildByName( ("video_"+model.pages[_currPanel]) ));
VideoLoader(vid_curr.loader).gotoVideoTime(0);

I'm looking into a solution. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for the quick reply as well, it got me to look at the problem in another way.

I can't see a memory leak. It is normal for the System.totalMemory to increase over a period of time until Flash runs a garbage collection sweep (which it does intermittently on its own). I clicked many times and memory increased and then decreased like normal. Of course the first time the video gets rendered in the display object on the stage, it is essentially like a big Bitmap which consumes memory. But once you've clicked all 4 of your nav buttons and the videos have been rendered at least once each, the memory goes up and down normally as far as I can tell. Could you show me exactly how to make the memory increase to the point where it crashes? What must I click on and in what order to see the problem?

Wow, you have no idea how crazy this is. So on my PC that I usually dev on, it continually increases the memory until Flash crashes. But I just tested on my MAC and it works perfectly! I don't get it, but something is going on with my PC that is not doing the garbage collection properly. Thanks for all the help, I will send you a link to this thing when its done.

• 4 years later...

@Jaybionic, did you ever find the root cause of this? I may experiencing something similar. Leaving a looping video running for 24 hours eventually crashes the app on Windows but Mac has no problem. Both machines have the same amount of RAM and both machines are running 64 bit Flash player.