Search Community

Reversing animations in a function

Wizard of Oz test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

Hi, I am probably about to max out my quota of how many questions a user can ask in a month 😇, but I blame you guys for developing such an addictive library.

I am trying to reverse an animation in a function. How can I target the timeline?  Something like myAnimation.tl.reverse() 

See the Pen QWaewvr by martinkariuki7-the-looper (@martinkariuki7-the-looper) on CodePen

I was also not sure what `{reversed: true}` did (there is nothing in the docs), but I think I have figured it out. It does nothing, but trick the timeline in thinking it has been played and sets a variable too `true`. So it doesn't set the animation backwards, otherwise in your example the block should have moved `y: 200` and it doesn't 

Adding a `!` before a variable will flip it state, so what is true becomes false and because the initial value was set to `true`, `!tl.reversed()` will become false on the frist run, so the code will become `tl.reversed(false)` and will play from it's not reversed state. I've modified the example to log out the values to visualize the values changing.  

See the Pen abEevBG?editors=0011 by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

i see that on toggeling we get the animation back. like i have a simple animation div that goes from 0 to 600px in y axis. the problem is when it reaches 600px it suddenly gets 0px instead of coming back as 599px , 598px ... to 0px. how can we do this without toggeling ? i even used reversed but i didnt got it reversed. im new to gsap

useEffect(() => {
    const container = containerRef.current;
    var tl = gsap.timeline({ repeat: -1, repeatDelay: 1 });

tl.from(container, {
      y: "600px",
      backgroundColor: "yellow",
      color: "black",
      duration: 1,
      ease: "power1.inOut",
    });

tl.to(
      container,
      {
        y: "1px",
        backgroundColor: "red",
        color: "black",
        duration: 1,
        ease: "power1.inOut",
      },
      "+=1"
    );

}, []);

Without a minimal demo, it's very difficult to troubleshoot; the issue could be caused by CSS, markup, a third party library, a 3rd party script, etc. Would you please provide a very simple CodePen or Stackblitz that illustrates the issue? 

Please don't include your whole project. Just some colored <div> elements and the GSAP code is best. See if you can recreate the issue with as few dependancies as possible. Start minimal and then incrementally add code bit by bit until it breaks. Usually people solve their own issues during this process! If not, at least we have a reduced test case which greatly increases your chances of getting a relevant answer.

See the Pen aYYOdN by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

that loads all the plugins. Just click "fork" at the bottom right and make your minimal demo

Using a framework/library like React, Vue, Next, etc.? 

CodePen isn't always ideal for these tools, so here are some Stackblitz starter templates that you can fork and import the gsap-trial NPM package for using any of the bonus plugins: 

Please share the StackBlitz link directly to the file in question (where you've put the GSAP code) so we don't need to hunt through all the files. 

Once we see an isolated demo, we'll do our best to jump in and help with your GSAP-specific questions. 

Hi there! I see you're using React -

Proper cleanup is very important with frameworks, but especially with React. React 18 runs in strict mode locally by default which causes your useEffect() and useLayoutEffect() to get called TWICE.

Since GSAP 3.12, we have the useGSAP() hook (the NPM package is here) that simplifies creating and cleaning up animations in React (including Next, Remix, etc). It's a drop-in replacement for useEffect()/useLayoutEffect(). All the GSAP-related objects (animations, ScrollTriggers, etc.) created while the function executes get collected and then reverted when the hook gets torn down.

Here is how it works:

const container = useRef(); // the root level element of your component (for scoping selector text which is optional)

useGSAP(() => {
  // gsap code here...
}, { dependencies: [endX], scope: container }); // config object offers maximum flexibility

Or if you prefer, you can use the same method signature as useEffect():

useGSAP(() => {
  // gsap code here...
}, [endX]); // simple dependency Array setup like useEffect()

This pattern follows React's best practices.

We strongly recommend reading the React guide we've put together at https://gsap.com/resources/React/

If you still need help, here's a React starter template that you can fork to create a minimal demo illustrating whatever issue you're running into. Post a link to your fork back here and we'd be happy to take a peek and answer any GSAP-related questions you have. Just use simple colored <div> elements in your demo; no need to recreate your whole project with client artwork, etc. The simpler the better.