Search Community

GSAP 4

Chromium test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Cassie,

I am simply curious as to whether you guys can give us any indication of when to expect GSAP 4. I've only ever read about it once in an article from 2 years ago by GreenSock mentioning that it was far off in the future. I'm curious if it is near in the future now perhaps?

Any extra spicy details you can share on it would be welcome too (anything to look forward to?). My only understanding so far is that GSAP 4 is going to be the less friendlier version of GSAP 3 as it will break most compatibility with GSAP 2 and below.

• Solution

Hey there!

No spicy details to share on a v4.

That being said, we haven't been kicking our heels for two years. We're still releasing updates. Just recently 3.10 came out with two brand new plugins!

Why do you ask? Is there something you feel that we could add or something you're hoping for?

Why do you ask? Is there something you feel that we could add or something you're hoping for?

Mostly out of curiosity. When I read that article about v4 breaking compatibility with v2 I thought, with how awesome your scripts currently are while still maintaining compatibility with v2, v4 must have some big stuff coming.

That being said, it would have also made it easier to convince someone to update their v2 GSAP. Lol 😝

PS: It was one of your articles on cassie.codes that convinced me to get GSAP. So well done! Lol

• Like 1

Ah! That's lovely to hear.

Jack should backdate my wages for all the evangelising I did before starting 😂

I think it's less about making big things that would deliberately break v2 and more just naturally progressing away from old syntax at some point when the time is right. That's not now though.

What was the article you're mentioning?

• Like 2

What was the article you're mentioning?

It was this one. Your bouncy dot on the "i" sunk me in. Hook, line, and sinker is the saying right? Lol

On a more serious note, I was only slightly familiar with GSAP (from a separate project I worked on) prior to reading your article. I was (and still am) a big newbie when it comes to SVG animations. I was struggling to get an SVG to draw itself... nicely. That's when I ran into your article. Your article, in combination with the simplistic yet beautiful looking timeline tweens, and most importantly, the bouncy dot on the "i" of course, sold me to use it on my new project. I don't regret it!

Nice website btw. Only slightly jealous of it lol

• Like 2

Hahahaha. Right! Well... it wasn't an article (oops). It was a response from GreenSock to someone using GSAP 2 in their CodePen in the forum somewhere. 😂

Sorry I can't be anymore detailed as I was going through a bunch (of forum posts? 😝) last night... you know, debugging problems.

• Like 1