Search Community

Toggle Animation GSAP

BenjaminO test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by BenjaminO,

Hello folks, 👋 

I am trying to reproduce all the behaviors saw in FAQ section from (https://www.nikki-kay.com/about) with toggle animations. Unfortunately, I have quite a lot of small annoying weird behaviors that I didn't figure out.

- When I trigger buttons, all my <p> are animating even when I try to target them specifically. (this should only happening when targeting the first button).

- Reverse animation is not played smoothly (only when I click multiple times on the buttons).

- Arrow animation not played sometimes (first click).

Thank you all in advance ! 

See the Pen ExoRXOz by benjamOD2 (@benjamOD2) on CodePen

Hey, what I would do is create an animation for each question. I did this by giving all your questions a class of '.question' to make it easier to get them  with Javascript. Where you did a for loop of each button addEventListener I started with the question class and made a `.forEach` loop and made this my start point, this makes it easy to get all the elements in that parent.

See the Pen YzYveVO?editors=1011 by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

Right now the 'see all' animation toggles the animation, so if one of them is open that one will close and the others will open, but that logic is easily fixed. I'll let you handle that one, also each button doesn't get the class `.active`, there are a lot of cool callback functions with each timeline, so maybe adding and removing the class `.active` could be part of the timeline, see https://greensock.com/docs/v3/GSAP/Timeline

Good luck and don't be afraid to comeback and ask for help when you're stuck!

• Like 5

i would most likely do something  very similar to what  @mvaneijgen provided above.

However, it's also worth looking at this demo from @OSUblake which relies on the Flip Plugin and requires very little code. 

See the Pen pormXeP by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Also, I imagine you were just experimenting, but be careful trying to implement code like this

let tween = gsap.timeline(pTarget)

tween.play(pTarget)

it isn't part of the API to pass elements into those methods

• Like 5

• Solution

Hello guys,

Thank you both for your ideas !! I finally got what I wanted and even if that's not the prettiest code, it's working quite well. I took your first submission as a base @mvaneijgen even though the flip plugin might be interesting as it requires less code. I let you my results updated here! Thank you all again 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1