Search Community

Scrollsmoother and modal

Superloop test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hi, 

i have similar Problems. In my case I am using Bootstrap Modals. Next SmootherScroll I have some ScrollTrigger applied to my site ... My first approach was to kill and recreate. Kill is working as aspected. The Bootstrap Modals do work. But recreate does not help ... afterwards all animations to not work as aspected. The trigger Elements seem not to work correctly and elements with the attributes data-speed are replaced after closing ... paused() would do it, but in most Modals I need scrolling as well, so it is not really an option ... any ideas? Thx and Kind regards, Martin 

Hey Cassie, 

this is not that easy ... here are many components that may cause these problems. At the end there are for sure some things, that do not work as I accept things should work ... for now , I have to do some work to break things down and see what happens ... if I got some ideas, I am going to write an update ... thx for your help. Best Martin 

PS: in this case I also run out of time ... so maybe I have to think about a workaround ... maybe locomotive scroll is an option ... 

• Like 1

We can definitely help you - But we can't help you without seeing the code. We're not magicians I'm afraid.

You may also have to call ScrollTrigger.refresh() when you reinstantiate the smoother? 

It'll very likely be quicker to give us a bit more information so that we can help, rather than to scratch everything, go with locomotive scroll and (probably) run into the same issue.

Hey Cassie, 

thx for your offer ... to break things down, so that you really can help needs a bit time ... otherwise as you say it is to difficult do get the problem ...

for now I reduce as much as I can ... I tried ScrollTrigger.refresh()  , but it does not change the behavior of the side ... it seems that the trigger do not work correctly after reinstantiate smoother ... all container with the data-speed attribute are moving some pixels up or down ... animations who depends on Scroll Trigger do not work correctly ... 

Find attached some js and tho images who show the position of some text before and after closing (reinstantiate and refresh) the modal. 

Martin

let smoother;

function smootherSetup() {
  smoother = ScrollSmoother.create({
    smooth: 2,               
    effects: true,  
    smoothTouch: 0.1 ,  
    normalizeScroll: true, 
    ignoreMobileResize: true 
  });
}

function triggerUpdate() {
  ScrollTrigger.refresh()
}

smootherSetup();

var myModalEl = document.getElementById('gruenderModal')

myModalEl.addEventListener('show.bs.modal', function (event) {

});

myModalEl.addEventListener('hide.bs.modal', function (event) {

smootherSetup();
  triggerUpdate();

});

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-04 um 22.43.34.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-04 um 22.43.45.png

1 hour ago, Cassie said:

Sorry Martin, I should have stated.

I'm specifically looking for a codepen or codesandbox demo. A minimal demo - just the smallest amount of code possible to recreate the issue.

See the Pen OJzzaWE by martin3r (@martin3r) on CodePen

Hi Cassis, Here is one problem I see ... every time you click on the "click me" button the text moves ... 

Best, Martin 

PS: if I click within this environment here the text moves down ... in a fullscreen environment in codepen.io it moves up :-)  I really have no idea ... 

Edited by Martin Erren

• Solution

I haven't looked at your latest CodePen, but if your goal is to allow the modal to scroll with a mouse wheel, you could intercept the wheel events and stopPropagation() if the target is in a scrollable element that's not the <body>/<html>: 

See the Pen QWaaJMo?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

const modalScroll = {
		_handler: e => {
			let node = e.target;
			while (node && node.scrollHeight <= node.clientHeight) node = node.parentNode;
			node && node !== document.body && node !== document.documentElement && e.stopPropagation();
		},
		enable: () => document.addEventListener("wheel", modalScroll._handler, { passive: true, capture: true }),
		disable: () => document.removeEventListener("wheel", modalScroll._handler)
	};

Usage:

modalScroll.enable();  // enable
modalScroll.disable(); // disable

Does that help?

• Like 2

Hi Jack,

this helps ... I am going to test this on mobile and other devices ... but for now it really helps ...  

is it also possible , that you just have a short look on my codepen above ... I also want to understand what happens there. So, if you have any comments to my example , I would appreciate it.  

Thx,

Martin 

5 hours ago, Martin Erren said:

is it also possible , that you just have a short look on my codepen above ... I also want to understand what happens there. So, if you have any comments to my example , I would appreciate it.  

Sorry about any confusion there - the problem is that the effects-related stuff needs to be reverted which isn't happening in the ScrollSmoother's kill() (that should be fixed in the upcoming release). As a band-aid solution in the current version, you can add this line right before your smoother.kill(): 

smoother.effects().forEach(st => st.vars.onRefreshInit());

See the Pen jOYYRQy?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Better?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GreenSock said:

I haven't looked at your latest CodePen, but if your goal is to allow the modal to scroll with a mouse wheel, you could intercept the wheel events and stopPropagation() if the target is in a scrollable element that's not the <body>/<html>: 

const modalScroll = {
			let node = e.target;
			node && node !== document.body && node !== document.documentElement && e.stopPropagation();
		},
		enable: () => document.addEventListener("wheel", modalScroll._handler, { passive: true, capture: true }),
	};

Usage:

Does that help?

9 hours ago, GreenSock said:

const modalScroll = {
			let node = e.target;
		},
	};

Usage:

Does that help?

Thanks @GreenSock! For me this works perfect ;)

• Like 1

These things should be fixed in the next release which you can preview at: 

Better?

Sorry again about the confusion there. Thanks for pointing out the issue(s). 

• Like 1

Hey Jack 

thank you for your efforts ... I am not used to asking for help in forums ... first time since 25 years of working as a developer ... I check all this stuff out, if there ist time ... for now I go with your approach mentions before ... the other here mentioned idea shows some errors on the different mobile devices ... in future we will use GSAP more often for our projects , at the moment I still have some problems on mobile devices, but I think its getting better . and now I know where to put my questions ...

Kind regards,

Martin 

PS: sry for my English Skills !

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 12:50 AM, GreenSock said:

const modalScroll = {
			let node = e.target;
		},
	};

Usage:

Does that help?

Hey @GreenSock, your solution works perfectly on desktop browsers, but how would you do this on touch devices?

Hi @linkus - we've actually built in a solution in the next release that will let you activate it like this: 

ScrollTrigger.normalizeScroll({ allowNestedScroll: true });

You can preview the files at:

Does that work well for you? 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I can't test it anymore, since after a few days of testing I tried my site on iOS and it's jittery and unusable as long as my finger is touching the screen (while normalizeScroll is on), so I had to move back to another smoothscroll library, at least untill this is fixed :(

Here's a small demo with the bare minimum (open link on an iOS device, it's a debug view link):

See the Pen gOojdxR by linkus (@linkus) on CodePen

On iOS (both safari and chrome) the scroll fps drops down massively while touching the screen. Once I stop touching (after flicking) it's smooth.
Also, on iOS safari the browser bars show/hide, while on iOS chrome they don't (which is the expected behavior). Also, on iOS safari it sometimes starts jumping while in mid-scroll.
And another interesting thing, even though the documentation states that there's no smoothing of the native scroll, it still doesn't look like native scroll, as it scrolls faster than my finger.

I've been using 🍑 ASScroll up until now, which works 100% perfectly on all devices, it never shows/hides the url bars on any browsers, doesn't lag while touch-scrolling, always perfectly reports the scroll positions and it relies on native scroll on touch devices (all of which I wish ScrollSmoother would do too).

Hi @GreenSock!

I've just update to version 3.10.3 but when I use smoother.paused(true) I receive the following error in my console:

Uncaught TypeError: _inputObserver is not a function
    at ScrollSmoother.paused (app.js?id=17ee648e3af68080c2b4:50265:23)
    at openNav (app.js?id=17ee648e3af68080c2b4:53012:25)
    at HTMLDivElement.<anonymous> (app.js?id=17ee648e3af68080c2b4:53047:17)
    at HTMLDivElement.dispatch (app.js?id=17ee648e3af68080c2b4:22187:27)
    at HTMLDivElement.elemData.handle (app.js?id=17ee648e3af68080c2b4:21991:28)

Do you have any idea about it?

Thanks!