Search Community

React, Scroll Smoother, navigating between pages/routes and the scroll position persisting

JoeH test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

The issue is when navigating between pages/routes in React, if you for instance click an internal link, then when you arrive on the next page, the scroll position that you were in when you click the link has persisted.

On the current site I am working on I am not too fussed if the page always loads at the top no matter what, so I have just added:

useEffect(() => {
    smoother.scrollTop(0)
  }, []);

On every page component.

However if this is not desirable I was wondering what the proper or best way of dealing with this issue might be.

7 hours ago, OSUblake said:

Hi Joe,

Are you using Next.js? If so, to keep the scroll position you can use <Link scroll={false}></Link>.

I am not using Next.js. Although I guess your method could be used still by creating a custom component for links which uses the Link component, and looks for the scroll value.

5 hours ago, GreenSock said:

Blake, I I understood @JoeH correctly, I think he actually WANTS the scroll to reset (go back to the top) on each route. So yeah, you could smoother.scrollTop(0) if you want, or if you're asking how to tell ScrollTrigger to forget any recorded scroll position, you can use ScrollTrigger.clearScrollMemory()

Yes I do wish for this. I think where it may not be desirable for some websites is on a refresh of a page where it is normal for the scroll position to persist.