Search Community

svg animations flick on safari

siw test
Moderator Tag

hi,

i got a few animations linked to a scrolltrigger, which work absolutely fine with every browser. but in safari if the screen is over a certain width the animations sometimes start to flick or just lag. i already tried to just animate them automatically (without scrolltrigger), but it seems like not the scrolltrigger is the problem. 

i think that svg's require more performance in safari or something like that?

so the question is how can i fix my animations, for safari? it also seems like the animation works fine unless u got a 4k or higher screen.

thanks in advance!

See the Pen podXRQy by siw (@siw) on CodePen

• Like 1

i got safari 15.2, i also tried it on many different devices - always the same problem.

you need to run the codepen on fullscreen on a display with high resolution then you should see the star lagging

7 hours ago, siw said:

Yes, SVG are the slowest to render, and GSAP has nothing to do with that. 1-2% of the workload might be GSAP, the rest is dependent on the browser, and animating a full screen SVG in 4k is going to bring performance issues. The only workaround is to use a faster renderer, like canvas or WebGL.

• Like 2

alright, thought of that already! how can i accomplish a convert of svg to canvas? 

i heard of pixi.js already but are there simpler solution related to gsap animations?

thanks in advance!

Doing that animation in pure canvas in an optimized fashion would require a lot of canvas know-how. Definitely not something I would recommend unless you are very familiar with the canvas API and a good understanding of how to do transforms without a transform origin.

GSAP plays nicely with PixiJS and is probably the easiest way to do canvas related animations. We even have a plugin for it.

https://greensock.com/docs/v3/Plugins/PixiPlugin

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 9:43 AM, siw said:

hi,

i got a few animations linked to a scrolltrigger, which work absolutely fine with every browser. but in safari if the screen is over a certain width the animations sometimes start to flick or just lag. i already tried to just animate them automatically (without scrolltrigger), but it seems like not the scrolltrigger is the problem. 

so the question is how can i fix my animations, for safari? it also seems like the animation works fine unless u got a 4k or higher screen.

thanks in advance!

@siw Just to say - love the effect, really creative!

• Like 1