GreenSock

MiraNoir

Animation doesn't work on refresh

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

Hi, I'm loving the platform and I am an old web designer getting back into the field 20+ years later. I'm not quite good at JS yet but working on it as I REadvance. However I'm hitting a snag, every time I refresh the page, all animations stop working, it's like that on my IIS/Flask webserver and on my codepen and for the life of me I don't understand why it just suddenly stops working on refresh. Its pretty basic animations made multiple time only, 3 come from the left side on page 2, and I have 15 popping in from the right on page 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

See the Pen zYPyNBy by MiraNoir (@MiraNoir) on CodePen

• Solution

Welcome to the forums @MiraNoir

There is a known regression with .from() animations that will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime, try adding lazy: false to your animations to see if that fixes the problem.

See the Pen wvPRJyR by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1

It worked 🤪

Thank you so much, made my day!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2022 at 2:40 PM, OSUblake said:

Welcome to the forums @MiraNoir

There is a known regression with .from() animations that will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime, try adding lazy: false to your animations to see if that fixes the problem.

Hello Miranoir, 

I'm wondering if you have an update on this fix please?  I have come across this exact problem.  I am tweeting from random values so trying to reengineer this to a .to tween is not possible unless I remove the randomness, and who wants that ! lol.  I have tried the lazy: false but that did not fix the issue in Safari and Firefox on Mac.

many thanks!

@Justin N that fix is already out in the current release. Are you using at least 3.10.4? If so, please provide a minimal demo and we'd be happy to take a peek. 

Are you using React 18+? They introduced a very odd behavior where it calls the useEffect() TWICE in strict mode (which is the default). It has absolutely nothing to do with GSAP, but logically if you call a .from() twice, the logic would dictate that it stay in the .from() spot. Again, it's not a bug in GSAP at all. There's a workaround but I'll spare you the explanation unless you confirm that you're using React 18+

No, I'm not using React. However, I am using Bootstrap which I assume adds a layer of complexity.  

Thank you !

Justin

Bootstrap is purely presentational so won't get in the way of JavaScript logic at all. What GSAP version are you using? Is it at least 3.10.4?

Do you have a minimal demo by any chance? It would be really helpful for us to see what's happening

Thanks!