Search Community

Gsap scroll trigger + locomotive scroll : lagging on Chrome (desktop)

Elodie test
Moderator Tag

Hello,

Since last month my website scrolling appears to be lagging on Chrome, desktop version (slow and blurry compared to Firefox)

https://kuroweb.fr/

I use Gsap scroll trigger with locomotive scroll. I guess my code isn't the best optimized but so far it's been working fine 

https://kuroweb.fr/wp-content/themes/kuroweb/js/gsap.js

Could someone help me understand why?

Thanks !

• Elodie changed the title to Gsap scroll trigger + locomotive scroll : lagging on Chrome (desktop)

Hi Elodie,

Performance audits are very time-intensive and optimization is a huge topic, so that's not something we can look into for you. When something is laggy, it's usually a graphics rendering issue, as in you are asking the browser to do too much work. To troubleshoot, I would start by turning off animations one by one until you find something this is causing the problem. I might start with locomotive scroll as that is probably the most performance intensive operation as smooth scrolling can be considered one giant animation.

If you still need help, you can try to hire someone in our Jobs forum.

Good luck with the project!

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer,

I tried to disable the animations and locomotive scroll, but it does not help me much. What I don't understand is that the problem appeared overnight on Chrome (since September everything was working fine as on Firefox). So it looks like a browser update to me? Maybe someone has encountered the same problem ?

I try to understand (before deleting locomotive scroll and all my work on the animations which I had tested and worked well until now, no performance issues before February).

3 minutes ago, Elodie said:

So it looks like a browser update to me? Maybe someone has encountered the same problem ?

It's possible, but we haven't had anyone else report issues from a browser update.

For what it's worth, your site performs about the same on Firefox as it does on Chrome on my computer.

OK, thanks ! Good news (hoping that on your computer neither of the two appears lagging ^ ^)

For my part, I have a shaky rendering on chrome when I scroll (it's much cleaner on Firefox). I put that aside but I should definitely give up locomotive scroll and parallax effects.

Thanks again !