Search Community

How to improve my power bar?

Fernando Matias Cohen test
Moderator Tag

Hello everyone!, I wanted to try to perform the typical power bar functionality based on the keyUp event, but let's say that the functionality was not very fluid, if someone has an idea of how it could be more fluid, I accept the ideas to learn, many Thank you. 😎

See the Pen wvPxpoK by designfenix (@designfenix) on CodePen

I don't quite understand your question here - can you please be more specific? I didn't see anything jerky. 

You should definitely switch to the more modern GSAP 3 syntax:

// OLD
TweenMax.to(".bar", 0, {width: "-=3%"});

// NEW
gsap.set(".bar", {width: "-=3%"});

If you want to animate things instead of suddenly setting them, you could use a small duration on a gsap.to() call, and make sure to set overwrite: true so that you're not creating conflicting tweens. 

If you're setting the same value over and over again, you might want to look into using gsap.quickSetter() for performance reasons.

• Like 1

It's going to be a little jerky because your animations don't have a duration, and your setInterval doesn't update on every animation frame.

How about this? It would probably perform better if animate scaleX instead of width, but it mess up the gradient in the bar.

See the Pen GROBBwP by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That smooth transition is what I was looking for, thank you very much, I'm going to analyze and implement your advice, I'm also going to see about adding a particle emitter at the end of the bar, and I'm going to use the keyPower to make it more or less drop particles.

I'll let you know how it goes later, thank you very much!

• Like 1