GSAP ScrollTrigger

Jaron test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

Link for code: https://codesandbox.io/s/globe-static-0m8517?file=/index.html

Link to sandbox viewing area: https://0m8517.csb.app/

Hi there,

I hope everyone is well.

I was wondering if somebody may be able to point me in the right direction for an effect I'm trying to achieve. Essentially, on the link above (best if opened in full-screen mode), you can see a globe, and then some text beneath it. What I want to achieve is for the text below to change as the user scrolls, but for the globe to stay pinned / fixed. I have achieved this somewhat in the above, but when the height of the content changes, the effect is quite jarring. 

Does anybody have any ideas of how I can get around this, so that when the text content beneath changes in height, the globe doesn't jump up and down? 

Furthermore, and this may not be possible, but is there a way to still have items pinned if the content overflows the height of the screen? I don't necessarily know how high the content may be in this example, but if it is longer, it overflows the screen -- and because we're pinning the items, you can't scroll to see it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Solution
3 hours ago, Jaron said:

Does anybody have any ideas of how I can get around this, so that when the text content beneath changes in height, the globe doesn't jump up and down? 

It looks just like a CSS issue. Changing the display from none to block is changing the height, which is causing the shift, so you may want to consider absolute positioning your text items and possibly the globe.

3 hours ago, Jaron said:

Furthermore, and this may not be possible, but is there a way to still have items pinned if the content overflows the height of the screen? I don't necessarily know how high the content may be in this example, but if it is longer, it overflows the screen -- and because we're pinning the items, you can't scroll to see it...

No, that's really not possible because the whole point of pinning is prevent items from scrolling. Again, this is more of a CSS issue. If I were super concerned that everything wouldn't fit on the screen, I would manually calculate the size of everything and dynamically position to where it would fit.