Search Community

ScrollTrigger Horizontal slide with a single smaller panel

Ian Robinson test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by akapowl,

Stripped a project back to basics and rebuilding an element at a time. Now I've spent a couple days trying to figure this one out but keep hitting roadblocks (or CodePen crashing on me for some reason). Attempting to add in a div of a smaller size than the others but only managed to partially get it to work – I have the gap, but the panel moves at a different rate. I found a snippit along the lines of 

x: () => `-${maxWidth - window.innerWidth}`,

but obviously it's only a small piece of the puzzle and feel I'd have to rebuild what I did to make it work so trying to figure out if it's the only option or if what I have can be edited relatively easily to accomodate.

See the Pen mdqyOxL by ilrobinson (@ilrobinson) on CodePen

• Solution
12 hours ago, Ian Robinson said:

Attempting to add in a div of a smaller size than the others but only managed to partially get it to work – I have the gap, but the panel moves at a different rate.

It is to be expected, that they move at a different rate, because the xPercent is related to the element's width. You're telling each element to move to the left for a specified amount of its own width so to say - which will be different with different width's of each element, so they will get out of sync.

See the Pen WNXbLMX by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

The approach you are using only really works like that when the panels all are a window's width wide.

If you need to have sections with different widths, you will be better off tweening the x of either the individual sections like for example in this approach from the demo section...

See the Pen ZEpNLZa by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

...or a wrapping container element, something like in this example.

See the Pen dyvygmj by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

• Like 3

Thanks again akapowl (I believe you helped me with my previous issue as well)! But yes, you addressed my questions as I was pretty sure I could work it out if I rewrote the whole thing as you implied, but wanted to know if it was possible with just a couple adjustments/edits to the code I already had.