Search Community

Click animation always applied to last element

Josh Mathis test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

I have no doubt I'm missing something completely obvious here, but I've stared at it so long I can't seem to catch it. Basically, trying to create a simple accordion open/close animation. The animation is fine, but for whatever reason it's only applying to the last item. I'm still new to GSAP, so if while someone is looking at things, if there's a cleaner/better way to do this in general, i'd love to hear that as well. Thanks for any and all help!

See the Pen zYPOaJd by joshmath (@joshmath) on CodePen

• Solution

Hi @Josh Mathis

Thanks for the demo. 

You were really quite close.

To get around ONLY the last item opening and closing it was just a matter of declaring the tl variable with let like so on line 13

let tl = gsap.timeline({ paused: true });

After that it seems to work fine.

if you want to just toggle the open and closed state of each faq independently on click you can simplify your click code a lot like this

See the Pen QWOLoyK?editors=0010 by snorkltv (@snorkltv) on CodePen

If you want to automatically close the open item every time you open a new item you can do something like this

See the Pen eYeOXRV?editors=0010 by snorkltv (@snorkltv) on CodePen

Notice how I'm assigning an "animation" property to each faq. This makes it easy to target a particular faq and its animation.

• Like 4

@Carl Thanks so much for the help and the very quick response! I knew it was going to be something simple like that, but I'd looked at it too long for me to ever see it. And thanks for giving me both options -- close on click and close on expanding another section! I knew what I had wasn't there yet, but I couldn't troubleshoot it without getting the other part working. So thanks for saving me the time there too. I'm not totally sure why it works to set the timeline to start in the reverse state, but I do get that it works and the use-case for it. If that's in the docs somewhere and someone wouldn't mind providing a link, I'd love to read on it further. Anyways, your help got me there Carl, and it is very much appreciated!! 

• Like 1

very glad to hear the demos helped

8 hours ago, Josh Mathis said:

I'm not totally sure why it works to set the timeline to start in the reverse state

no problem. the key is to first understand the next line

faq.animation.reversed(!faq.animation.reversed())

which basically says "make the reversed state the opposite of what it currently is" which is kind of like saying "make the opened state the opposite of what it currently is".

opened means the timeline has played

closed means the timeline has reversed

since the faqs all start "closed" we need the timelines to be reversed so that when we set the reversed state to be the opposite they will play forward and open.

Hope that helps!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1