Search Community

Jerky Scroll Behavior (scrollTrigger + Wordpress

Kristy H test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by elegantseagulls,

Hey folks - running into an issue with developing a smooth horizontal scroll. 

I'm building in Wordpress (using pro). When I feed in raw html, the horizontal scroll is buttery smooth. When I try to use the builder, I get a real jerky scroll. I have a feeling there's a simple solution, I just can't find the problem. Help is appreciated - thanks!

here's the same info on a wp page: https://kristyleehanson.com/testgsap/

(and yes, I'll be sharing this on a wp forum too).

See the Pen poWXxGW by lukefinsaas (@lukefinsaas) on CodePen

So this is the same exact JS I use when I load raw content (straight up HTML) into my dev site and the scroll works great - real smooth. The issue is when I try to use the builder. I'm trying to avoid handcoding everything and am running into problems. There's some funky communication between the WYSIWYG builder and the JS (the link above). In both instances, the sections is not defined on line 29 (but the script runs on the raw content and not the builder). 

9 minutes ago, Kristy H said:

So this is the same exact JS I use when I load raw content (straight up HTML) into my dev site and the scroll works great

Is the CodePen working as expected? If so, anything after line 29 is not being run in the CodePen (as it's broken), so I'm thinking that could be the issue... Maybe try deleting that?

• Like 2

Totally - this may be the crux of my question. I've deleted the script post line 29 and the horizontal scroll is still jerky. As I haven't written ANY CSS transitions - can I ask where you're seeing these? They may be inherited through my compiler and I'm just not seeing then. 

Yeah, I'm aware of all of those CSS animations and of how to inspect my elements to see them. Maybe I'm not asking the question specifically enough or this isn't the forum for it. I'm wondering what CSS transition folks are seeing that is bumping into my GSAP JS positioning - as in, what is the issue when I'm using the compiler versus inserting raw HTML into the compiler. 

When I'm using the theme, but inserting Raw Content into an element, the scrollTrigger works just fine. When I try to use the compiler to recreate what I've built in HTML using compiler elements, the gsap script stutters. 

I'm just trying to understand the difference here, so that I can use gsap in a production site. I simply don't want to handcode every site I want to use gsap on. I understand it's a "communication" issue between my wp theme and the script, but I'm not seeing *exactly* where the issue lies. I understand the CSS transitions in the screen you posted @OSUblake, but I'm not seeing any specific inherited transitions that would mess with the scripts. 

Here's the compiler using raw code (very rough bare version of the horizontal scroll).  https://kristyleehanson.com/gsapforumtest/ 

TL;DR - I'm wondering where the problem lies between this raw html and the compiler elements - I haven't been able to hunt it down yet. I have a feeling once it's pointed out, it'll be a real forehead slap for me, but extra eyes and specified guidance would be amazing. 

5 minutes ago, Kristy H said:

I'm wondering what CSS transition folks are seeing that is bumping into my GSAP JS positioning - as in

It's not seeing per se, it's that the properties you are animating with GSAP are conflicting with the CSS transition properties on those elements. Every time GSAP changes a value, the CSS transition is going to kick in and try to animate it too. It's creating two competing animations.

I can't say how to fix it with as I don't mess with WP or any theme builders, but you need to figure out way to remove the CSS transitions from any elements you are animating with GSAP. That would probably be a better question to ask the theme builders.

• Like 1