Search Community

Legal Use of a Modified GSDevTools UI

michaelsboost test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

So, I'm making an app I would like to use a modified UI of GSDevTools for a completely free and open-source application I've been developing on and off in my free time for over 2 years. I just don't want to worry about any legal problems with licensing (even though I'm developing a free and open-source app). I know I can make my own similar to it, but I would like to save time hence the reason for the post.

NOTE: I'm not a lawyer by any means. According to the Standard License - GreenSock 

B. You may use, duplicate, and distribute the compiled object code as embedded in Developed Works created by you, either for your own use or for distribution to a third party so long as end users of the Developed Work are not charged a fee for usage of or access to any portion of the Developed Work. Please see https://greensock.com/licensing/ for descriptions of Developed Works that qualify for the "No Charge" license.

Sounds good until I read...

C. You may make modifications to the source code exclusively for your own use in order to perform bug fixes or other minor edits required to operate the PROGRAM as originally intended.

Does this mean I have to make my own UI similar to GSDevTools to use in my free and open-source app or no?

• Solution

Great question, @michaelsboost. Thanks for caring about proper licensing. 👍

GSDevTools is a membership benefit exclusively for Club GreenSock members - I'm curious how you got access to that since it looks like your account has never had a membership associated with it. 

It's totally fine with us if you use the core/public GSAP files in an open source project as long as you make it clear that the GreenSock files are subject to their own license (they're not MIT or any official "open source" one, and that's a GOOD thing - see https://greensock.com/why-license) and you don't share any edited GSAP files because that could cause headaches for other people if variant versions of GSAP proliferate that have different functionality or bugs or whatever. See what I mean? 

Since GSDevTools is a membership benefit of Club GreenSock, that'd be very inappropriate to put it into an open source repository that you're sharing with the world because obviously that'd make it super easy for anyone to get without securing the proper membership. So please don't do that :)

Thanks again for seeking clarification about this. We're honored that you're leveraging GSAP in your project. Good luck with it!

• Like 1

Thanks for caring about proper licensing. 👍

Of course 🖕

I'm curious how you got access to that since it looks like your account has never had a membership associated with it. 

I just use the free download you guys provide. I don't modify GSAP at all. What I did is I saw the GSDevTools demo and copied and pasted the code from Microsoft Edge's Dev Tools. Because GSDevTools is a membership benefit of Club GreenSock I'll just make my own UI and leave it alone. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, michaelsboost said:

I just use the free download you guys provide.

Hm, the free download doesn't have GSDevTools - that's why I was confused. If you got it from a CodePen demo, that's totally fine but beware that it's a trial version that'll redirect if you try deploying it on a different domain. I just don't want you to be surprised, that's all. But it sounds like you're gonna build your own anyway so it won't be an issue. No worries. 👍

• Like 1