Search Community

ScrollTrigger Update transform values on resize

D.Cus test
Moderator Tag

Heya! So this only flushes out values from animations associated with that scrollTrigger.

invalidateOnRefresh Boolean - If true, the animation associated with the ScrollTrigger will have its invalidate() method called whenever a refresh() occurs (typically on resize). This flushes out any internally-recorded starting values.

e.g. this x value

gsap.to(elem, {
  x: () => willRefresh,
  scrollTrigger: {
    trigger: triggerElem,
    scrub: true
  }
})

However this won't be refreshed because the tween isn't associated with the scrollTrigger, it's just being called when the scrollTrigger updates

ScrollTrigger.create({
 trigger: triggerElem,
  scrub: true,
   onUpdate: () => {
    gsap.to(anotherElem, {
     x: () => wontRefresh,
    })
  }
})

• Like 1

@Cassie Thanks for the minimised demo, seems applying backgroundColour change to the tween does work when a resize event is applied however just doesn't seem to make changes to my x and y values in the tween in the fromTo here:
`.fromTo(svg, 
                    {
                        x: () => Math.round(startEndArr[index].startX), 
                        y: () => Math.round(startEndArr[index].startY),
                    }, 
                    {
                        x: () => Math.round(startEndArr[index].endX), 
                        y: () => Math.round(startEndArr[index].endY)
                    }, 0
                )`

See the Pen MWEGZOb by darren-ignition (@darren-ignition) on CodePen

Heya @D.Cus

I'm sorry to not be able to help hugely well, but it's not really clear visually what you're trying to achieve so I'm a little at a loss as to what to suggest.

The values are definitely refreshing though, maybe it's just not doing what you expect aesthetically?

Here's an updated pen with logs.

See the Pen bGoMzVw?editors=0011 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

I can see the values are updating just not passing through or updating the timeline on resize. The logic behind this pen was to match the position each marker (one from within the svg container and the other within each of the sections) as you scroll down the page. Aesthetically it does what it is desired until the user resizes the browser. I am sure it is something relatively simple but just can't wrap my head around what it is

Howdy, @D.Cus I just checked your CodePen and the values are all updating exactly as I'd expect (including the timeline). I'm curious why you think they're not. Would you mind explaining? 

Also, keep in mind that getBoundingClientRect() doesn't factor in scroll at all, so I wonder if the "broken" thing is more about your calculations? I didn't have time to try to dissect everything you're doing in there, but I can say for sure that the values in the timeline are updating as expected (well, unless I'm missing something). 🤷‍♂️

Also, did you know this method exists?: https://greensock.com/docs/v3/Plugins/MotionPathPlugin/static.convertCoordinates()

@GreenSock thanks for the head ups on the static.convertCoordinates() function I will defiantly try and use this to match each of the markers for each section. @Cassie With regards to the resize issue turns out it was my fault and a quick fix for my pen was to zero the svg overlay before resetting the `startEndArr` variable, I think me using .getBoundingClientRect() does not take into account the transform applied at that time. I think maybe using the motionPathPlugin functions may make things more streamline.

Anyway here is my updated code with the quick fix on resize:

`window.addEventListener("resize", function () {
  gsap.set(svg, {x: 0, y:0})
  startEndArr = getStartEnd();
  ScrollTrigger.refresh();
});`

See the Pen VwMdmPJ by darren-ignition (@darren-ignition) on CodePen

• 1 year later...