Search Community

Dynamic Caption with Draggable

pietM test
Moderator Tag

Thanks for getting back @Cassie!

I want ".caption2" to pull html from each slide's ".caption3," so it updates as you drag. Kind of like an "active" or "is-selected" function.

So, for slide 1, ".caption2" = 1. Caption1, for slide 2, ".caption2" = 2. Caption2, etc. as you drag or advance with the "prev / next" buttons. 

I added the onDragEnd call, but it still doesn't work. 

Ok so it was updating loads because you had all this code in a loop for some reason! Not needed. You were adding all of your variables and event listeners and functions and everything for every slide

I t would take me a while to figure out the draggable bit so I've just started you off and hopefully you can untangle the rest!

I've made a variable for the slide number and that gets incremented or decremented depending on the direction of the slides. Then we know what slide we're on and we can grab the caption from that slide and update the fixed caption

See the Pen rNGmaGy?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

I reckon you'll need to figure out a similar technique with the dragging bit - work out how to increment or decrement that number so you know what slide you're on.

• 1 month later...

Thank you @Cassie !!

Unfortunately, I had to resort to the Intersection Observer API for the desired effect. Here's the code and updated pen, should anyone want to use it:

const captiongrab = new window.IntersectionObserver(([entry]) => {
  if (entry.isIntersecting) {
    caption2.innerHTML = captioner.innerHTML;	
  }}, {
  root: null,
  threshold: 0.1
})

captiongrab.observe(box);

-

My next question is how to calculate the width of the slide container with slides of varying widths.

Where can I reach out for paid assistance with this?

Thanks for all!