Search Community

Recommended way to organize code for a scrolling-telly

nickraps test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Cassie,

Hi, I am creating a scrolling-telly experience that basically looks like this one: https://pudding.cool/2019/04/eu-regions/

I plan to use ScrollTrigger. But I am fairly new to the platform and can't really decide how to best organize the animations. So I'm curious to learn about your opinions regarding how to organize the animations:

• Should it be a timeline controlled by a single ScrollTrigger? (Is this even possible to achieve the desired behavior? It seems like each box on the side should be one more ScrollTrigger.)
  • Or should it be multiple tweens controlled by multiple ScrollTrigger?
  • Or a third approach?

What are the pros and cons?

Maybe I am asking too much... please let me know. Thank you.

• Solution

Hi Nick,

It's really entirely dependant on your markup and animations - we can't see that from this example alone. 

I would probably use a scrolltrigger to pin the content and then break up the decorative datavis animations into their own separate triggers.

Maybe this codepen will be a good starting point?

See the Pen YzyqVNe by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

3 hours ago, Cassie said:

Hi Nick,

It's really entirely dependant on your markup and animations - we can't see that from this example alone. 

I would probably use a scrolltrigger to pin the content and then break up the decorative datavis animations into their own separate triggers.

Maybe this codepen will be a good starting point?

Thank you! Do you know what difference does it make to use ScrollTrigger's pin comparing to CSS position sticky? I guess pin is more flexible and easy to use.