Search Community

ScrollTrigger Jitter issue

katjang test
Moderator Tag

Im fairly new to gsap, but i have a question about Scrolltrigger with the "scroller" attribute. I have an app with a horizontal scroller, but when i use the scroller attribute instead of the window, there is some jitter in the Y position of the scroller position, which is not present when i do not use the "scroller" attribute. Am I doing something wrong? The issue seems to be worse in firefox (but it can also happen in chrome)

Here a gif of the issue: https://gyazo.com/624a2a30cfe13d98e8c53875e59db636

See the Pen rNGMyoR by katjang (@katjang) on CodePen

Thank you for the quick response @akapowl, I did actually find that thread while searching for a potential solution! Using pinType: "fixed" breaks the scrolling however, and the other solution doesn't seem to do anything
ScrollTrigger.scrollerProxy("#scroller", {    pinType: "fixed" });

i've added it to the codepen but the issue still persists...

• Like 1

I think in your demo the scrollerProxy will actually not do much, because you set it up after you created your ScrollTrigger.

When I set it up before creating the ScrollTrigger, the scroll will break (just like you mentioned it happening with setting pinType: "fixed" to the ScrollTrigger directly). That's the case because now you will have the "fixed" element obscuring the events. As I mentioned in a later post of that linked thread above, I had to set pointer-events to none for the container. If you can't simply just do that because you e.g. have elements inside, that need to be accessable, check out this thread, which has a neat workaround by @GreenSock for that and also a more thorough explanation for why it is happening in the first place.

Edit: ...or alternatively this thread

With the pointer-events just set to none and the order of ScrollTrigger & scrollerProxy changed, I already couldn't replicate the issue anymore, not even in Firefox.

See the Pen NWaRvdj by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

• Like 1

I think pointer-events: none isn't an option for me, as i need hover and click events within the horizontal scrolling container.

The anticipatePin option also didnt seem to fix the issue, sadly.

I have already restructured things so that I do not need the "scroller" option anymore (back to default behaviour; scrolling on body). I thought that I really needed the scroller option, but it turns out I don't (yet?), hopefully im not forced to use the "scroller" option later in the project again!

(also i think that codepen on the first thread is broken? the animation doesn't tween sometimes)

Maybe a comment in the docs on the "scroller" attribute would be helpful about this (browser) issue!

Thank you for the assistance, very much appreciated!

• Like 1

onUpdate: ScrollTrigger.update,

I have added this to the the scrollTrigger and it does not solve the issue in the codepen (also tried it in the gsap.to options as I wasn't sure what the correct place was).

According to the other forum posts it is probably a browser issue, thread-related...

What I was trying to achieve was exactly this: 

See the Pen b375e7e4071b7ae285777cda4fd08f76 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

(not my codepen)

But with a custom "scroller" container, instead of scrolling on the body. This pen is what I based my codepen off of, it is almost identical except mine has a custom "scroller" container. This is when the issue occurs.

4 hours ago, katjang said:

I have added this to the the scrollTrigger and it does not solve the issue in the codepen (also tried it in the gsap.to options as I wasn't sure what the correct place was).

Yeah, in the tween itself, not the ScrollTrigger. It definitely helped when I looked at it in your CodePen. 

4 hours ago, katjang said:

According to the other forum posts it is probably a browser issue, thread-related...

Yep, scrolling is handled on a different thread, thus it's virtually impossible to make the visual updates all completely seamless unless you handle all the scrolling via JS which is possible - that's what smooth scrolling libraries do. It's what this ScrollTrigger-based helper function does too: 

See the Pen gOgWELo by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen