Search Community

Can't lock section with ScrollTrigger

Joshua Harmon test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Cassie,

Hi,

So I have a quite simple animation where an iPhone mockup comes up from the bottom of the screen and gets pinned after that an image sequence  animation is supposed to play.

But my I can't seem to figure out why the iPhone won't stay pinned and play the image sequence animation.

I tried changing the iPhone scroll trigger to .main-container but that only made it worse.

Any guide or help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Codepen url: (Please open in new tab)

https://codepen.io/joshuah46/full/vYeKdoV

See the Pen vYeKdoV by joshuah46 (@joshuah46) on CodePen

• Solution

Hey Joshua!

You can trigger an animation in an onComplete - but you can't really add a scrollTriggered animation in an onComplete. It's a bit at odds with each other.

You're saying 'Hey GSAP - start this animation when this one ends - but also start it when the scroll starts and tie it directly to the scroll progress'

You need to choose one approach. I would go with one scrollTriggered timeline. 

See the Pen WNZxywL?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 3

Hey,

Interesting, I didn't think of a timeline initially because both the animations where inside the same section. (I'm very new to GSAP).

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to reply really appreciate it.

36 minutes ago, Cassie said:

Hey Joshua!

You can trigger an animation in an onComplete - but you can't really add a scrollTriggered animation in an onComplete. It's a bit at odds with each other.

You're saying 'Hey GSAP - start this animation when this one ends - but also start it when the scroll starts and tie it directly to the scroll progress'

You need to choose one approach. I would go with one scrollTriggered timeline. 

• Like 1

Ah ok, whether something's in the same section or not shouldn't really have anything to do with choosing to use a timeline.

A timeline is useful when you need to create a sequence of animations - a scrollTrigger is useful for triggering an animation (or sequence of animations) on scroll.

Glad I could help!