Search Community

Finding out where AutoFitArea moves your objects

Ahrengot test
Moderator Tag

Hey!

I'm utilizing AutoFitArea in one of my projects, but haven't had a lot of experience working with that particular class yet, and i'm a little confused as to how it works.

I've setup the area like this:

_autoFitArea =  new AutoFitArea(this, 0, 0, stage.stageWidth, stage.stageHeight);
_autoFitArea.attach(_background, "proportionalOutside", "center", "center");

added a stage.RESIZE listener and in that handler method i do this:

private function onStageResize(e:Event = null):void 
{
_autoFitArea.width = stage.stageWidth;
_autoFitArea.height = stage.stageHeight;
}

Everything works as it should, but at some point later in the code i need to do a bitmap.draw() of the _background DisplayObject. And to do that accurately i need the position of _background, but when i read the x and y properties of _background it reports back 0.

Reading x/y properties from the AutoFitArea itself reports 0 back as well. Is there any way to get those values, and how come they return 0? Is that how it's supposed to work?

Tough to say what's going on without seeing your file. It'd be normal for the AutoFitArea to remain at x:0/y:0 unless you specifically change it, but I don't know why the attached object doesn't seem to be moving. I suspect there may be something else going on in your code. If you still need help, please post a sample FLA that demonstrates the issue in as simple a manner as possible (no need to send your production files).

For what it's worth, LiquidStage has a LiquidArea class that extends AutoFitArea and automatically resizes itself based on the stage's resizing events. http://www.greensock.com/liquidstage/