Search Community

Selling commercial npm package

LucasD test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hi Greensock, and thank you for your amazing product.

I'd like to sell a node package that would include GSAP as a dependency. It would be based on the freemium model : a free tier including some features, and the premium tier for the full feature set. The premium version would be hosted on a private npm repository.

I will of course need the business green license, but I'm not sure of what would be the best way to handle the license key and the .npmrc file.

Could anyone point me to the right direction please ?

I know that similar questions have already been answered on this forum, but I couldn't find enough info on this specific subject.

Were you asking about how to set up your own similar private repo for your clients with your own product or were you asking about how to share the GreenSock bonus plugins from your account with all your customers? 

Just to be clear, you should not be sharing your private GreenSock repo token (or putting the bonus plugins into a public repo) :)

6 hours ago, GreenSock said:

Just to be clear, you should not be sharing your private GreenSock repo token (or putting the bonus plugins into a public repo) :)

Yes, that's what's not so clear to me. How can I embed gsap premium plugins as a dependency without having to share my license ? 

When my client will install my private package without having the .npmrc file setup with the license key, how will they be able to get the private gsap package ?

Thanks @OSUblake for pointing me to privjs !

• Solution

You can't really make it a dependency like that, but you could just put the files directly in your private repo as long as you make it very clear to your users that the GreenSock files are only to be used as a part of your product, but outside of that they're subject to their own license. It'd be bad if your private repo became a loophole for people to snag bonus files without getting the proper membership, you know? 😬