Search Community

How to make this transform using matrix

recruitforme test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by PointC,

I am having this problem while trying to make a very simple transform. 

On the code, I simply have:

.to('#left-gate', {
            transformOrigin: 'center left',
            transform: 'rotateY(180deg)',
        });

On the browser, when I inspect, I have:
image.png.508196e440d62f483b6cfee530c78d39.png

My transform is being altered to use the matrix format. How can I either force gsap to use the rotateY transform or to make the matrix transformation without the weird middle behaviour?

Let me guess: the element you're trying to animate is SVG, right? The SVG spec doesn't allow 3D transforms, so you can't do a rotateY(). You can certainly do a scaleX, though, or even skewY - a combination of those can achieve a somewhat similar effect. If you still need help, please provide a minimal demo and we'd be happy to take a peek. 

• Like 1

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the fast response. 

I tried achieving a combination of scaleX and skewY but in the final result, gsap still transforms it into a matrix and gives me the same unexpected behavior between the start and end points. Is there any way I can fix this? 

Hey @recruitforme. We'd love to help, but it's super difficult trying to troubleshoot blind. It's entirely normal for a matrix to be set on anything SVG - that's because it works around various browser bugs and quirks. 

What do you mean by "unexpected behavior between start and end points"? A minimal demo will go a LONG way toward getting you an accurate solution :)

Also, I'd strongly recommend not using "transform" - just use the alias shortcuts like scaleX, skewY, etc. It's much clearer, faster, and more accurate. 

• Like 1