Search Community

It's the season (Simple snow animation in GSAP and Animate CC)

Salakala test
Moderator Tag

Hi!

This has been a recurring question for me every winter season of making banners and I have never found a good working solution.
I have AnimateCC (Canvas)+ Greensock workflow and I need to animate some snow falling  in the background during the banner.  A simple setup with 2-3 different starting symbols for snow and a way to place them on the canvas randomly and moving them randomly from top to bottom inside a timeline. I have a sturdy knowledge how to use Gsap and timelines in banner workflows but other then that I'm pretty useless with code.  Plenty of snow tutorials available in GSAP but none in Animate CC using canvas and GSAP.  So the question is: how do you randomly duplicate a movie clip and make each movie clip follow a random path. Any hints would be apreciated. Attached is a simple banner template that shows the timeline control that I use and includes text and snow symbols.

snowbanner.fla

1 hour ago, Cassie said:

Whoa... a blizzard :)  Nice. But it looks to be using pixie. Id avoid going outside Animate and greensock. And keep it simple.

Than you for the info!

1 hour ago, Cassie said:

You can't really beat @OSUblake's snow particle pen -

And this thread is ridiculously informative

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Salakala said:

Great insights and nice effect! 😀 Unfortunately im looking for a solution in Adobe Animate and Greensock. Animate uses canvas as final output and i would like to animate Animate symbols with greensock.

Look at the demo Cassie posted above. Pixi, Animate, HTML, SVG, WebGL... doesn't matter as the concept is still the same. You just call an animate function for every snowflake in your scene.

function animateSnowflake(snowflake) {  
  gsap.to(snowflake, { duration: "random(1, 10)", x: "-=200", repeat: -1, yoyo: true, ease: "sine.inOut" });
  gsap.to(snowflake, { duration: "random(1, 8)", y: h + 100, ease: "none", repeat: -1, delay: -15 });
}