Search Community

Scrolltrigger onUpdate self.isActive doesnt give correct response

JeremyLove test
Moderator Tag

Welcome to the forums @JeremyLove

There is no scrolling in your demo, so I'm not sure what you are trying to do. The only thing that logs out is on complete.

Regardless, you are logging out an object, which may have changed by the time you inspect it. Whatever isActive logs out is the value at that point in time. This has nothing to do with GSAP, and is how JavaScript works. Try searching for JavaScript value vs reference.

You can see it action here. Notice how I change the isActive after logging it out, but if you inspect it, it will be different.

See the Pen gOxdZvM by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

image.png

@OSUblake

There seems to be a problem with the codepen when on this page. When you click edit the codepen you should be able to see the scrolling functionality. Basically what I am trying to do is add a class on the current div as you as you leave it. onLeave and onLeaveBack seem to trigger my function too late. So am i trying to do this by utilizing onUpdate since it triggers my function instantly. I need to use the isActive prop to get the current section I am leaving and add the class to it. I can change it if it doesnt target the right div.

Does this kinda make sense?

What do you mean by a before state? And what do you mean by too late? The class will toggle exactly at the point shown on the markers.

And getting back to your original question, it console logs out the correct values. The false one is the section leaving, and the true below that is the new section.

image.png

@OSUblake

I would like to set a class on the section that I am leaving during the transition. like a inprogress class. The section im leaving does not output the correct value thats shown in the console log. if I do a console.log on the section it shows isActive: false on the isActive value, however if I do a section.isActive in my console.log it shows the value of isActive set to true

4 minutes ago, JeremyLove said:

if I do a console.log on the section it shows isActive: false on the isActive value, however if I do a section.isActive in my console.log it shows the value of isActive set to true

I already discussed that several posts above. The object in the console has already changed by the time you inspect it. You should not be logging out the section to check for isActive. section.isActive is the value when that function was called. 

image.png

But that function is being called by different ScrollTriggers. The false value you see there is from a different trigger than the true below that.

Instead of toggling a class, why don't you just do a gsap animation instead?