Search Community

Animating a menu from a menu bar

NickWoodward test
Moderator Tag

Morning all!

I'm trying to get my menu items to look like they're sliding down from the menu itself.

I've a couple of problems though:

1: I don't know how to deal with the items being visible behind the menu as they slide in. I thought about having a menu wrapper the same color as the background for it to slide behind, but the contents are positioned absolutely to each item, meaning I don't think I can get a z-index lower anyway

2: I tried animating height instead, but couldn't get it to look very good, it's not quite the look I'm after, and it also suffers from looking like it's fading in as well

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this sort of look? Or alternatively how to make it look good in a more simplistic way?

Thanks!

*edit: I guess I could use the menu wrapper idea and place the contents divs completely outside of any other container, then manually find the position of each item and place the contents relative to that, but that seems very fiddly for what I'm trying to achieve!

See the Pen BadPJPm?editors=1011 by nwoodward (@nwoodward) on CodePen

:)

Not wanting to take advantage... but... 😊

How would you deal with a box-shadow on the element that scrolls in? My actual nav bar has that, and it's an interesting problem - on the container (obviously) doesn't work, and the container masks the element scrolling in... so that wouldn't work either...

I guess I could try to make the container a couple of pixels larger than element? Just wanted to double check as the element's dimensions are dynamic, so it's probably more work than I think it is (no change there) 😄

*edit: ohhhhh, maybe a margin?
**edit: Yeah, that worked 😊

• Haha 1