Search Community

Spawning randomly placed SVGs with no overlap

pixelbakery test
Moderator Tag

Hiya,

I'm trying to find out what the best approach to this is. I'd like to create a lander that has a bunch of svgs that spawn in random locations, but don't overlap, on page load. Once they're loaded in, they'll passively bob up and down and rotate a bit. 

Is this possible with GSAP, or should I keep looking? I potentially like the idea of using the 2d physics plugin to make them bump off each other, but that's deff phase two. I've attached a screenshot of the mockups to give you a better idea of what I'm after. The object in the middle has a blue roughly-cut background baked into the image and would be placed on top of everything, so no need to add collision avoidance to that part.

Ya'll are great! Thanks238001407_ScreenShot2021-11-05at14_57_19.thumb.png.948f69d8fb603df7e54777c965124ec6.png

Hi PixelBakery,

That would be incredibly difficult to do without a complex collision detection algorithm as the bounding boxes would overlap.

image.png

If the images didn't overlap, you could do a brute force method where you just check if the space is occupied. Here's an old demo where I do that with boxes.

See the Pen WjWPob by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

And circle packing...

See the Pen bWJZVB by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 4

Yeah, give it a shot, and if you get stuck, just throw it a codepen and I can take a look. But like I mentioned earlier, it won't allow overlaps so the images won't be as tightly packed as your image.

12 minutes ago, pixelbakery said:

I'm guessing I could just add two more variables to each object for x and y, right?

You can replace left and top with x and y. They would be the same thing. The object I used is just to represent the bounds of a rectangle, so the names really don't matter. 

• Like 1