Search Community

Are these After Effects animations possible to do with GSAP?

GSAP Ted test
Moderator Tag

I've jumped a bit into some animation with GSAP in the past, but was wondering if these examples below are possible to do in GSAP? Or would this be done in WebGL mostly?

Dribbble links below:

https://cdn.dribbble.com/users/2215956/screenshots/14459252/media/14e8ef66efe5c33d32224f4c9fd43b7f.mp4

https://cdn.dribbble.com/users/691044/screenshots/14158322/media/6ef27addaa06821f36cdca5c80fcc695.mp4

Hi @GSAP Ted

That could certainly be done with GSAP. And GSAP can animate WebGL too. It works almost exactly the same, but instead of animating an element, you would animate a WebGL object, like a mesh or sprite.

But those animations look like they might perform ok without WebGL, so I would start with some good old HTML and CSS first.

• Like 3

There actually is a wonderful codepen demo out there, that shows how that second example could be done - the creator made use of GSAP 3.5.1 for it.

See the Pen VwaXZZV by jakewhiteleydev (@jakewhiteleydev) on CodePen

Edit:

And I just found this one recreating the works-section of that first video-example of yours.

See the Pen abZmdqe by eleanxrg (@eleanxrg) on CodePen

• Like 7

WW.thumb.png.42afcb5731d266497cddda1be3c8afe1.png

@OSUblake Awesome! Pretty regularly I come back to an awesome website with animations and I’ll look into the code and mostly every time it is using GSAP. Then I see some After Effects work that gets me asking how far GSAP could go.

@akapowl Amazing! Crazy to think you actually clicked the links on this forum post and had seen exactly what I was asking! Thank you!

Every time I come back to this community it’s always proved itself to be very helpful!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GSAP Ted said:

Then I see some After Effects work that gets me asking how far GSAP could go.

GSAP can do everything AfterEffects can. At its core, AfterEffects is animating stuff just like GSAP via interpolation. The only difference is that complex motion graphics might be a little easier to create with AfterEffects because you have a GUI.

But with enough time and skill, you can pull off some amazing stuff with just code. 😉

See the Pen VjWWZO by chrisgannon (@chrisgannon) on CodePen

• Like 2