Search Community

Freelance needed for a specific effect (teetering / wobbling tower)

echorley test
Moderator Tag

Hey guys,

So I'm using Articulate Storyline and I need someone who can write up the code for me to add to the Javascript section of an image. 

I basically have a jenga tower that needs to 'teeter or wobble' the best thing I can find to try and describle the effect is this (but without the warp - it just needs to pivot from left to right):

Engineer GIF by Dlubal Software

If you can do this then please let me know, payment waiting! (and if this goes to plan I have lots more effects in the pipeline) 😀

Here's some info kindly sourced for me regarding GSAP and Storyline integration:
https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/gsap-3-5-1-latest-version-is-now-included-in-storyline-360

Thanking you! 

Emily.

13 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Hey Emily. Are you wanting a WebGL implementation of the teetering? If you only need images, you don't need any JavaScript.

Hey Zach! So... I have literally no idea what that means 😧

Would it make things any clearer if I said that it will be a 'group' of objects that will need the teetering script adding to the actual group and not each individual image within that group?

So imagine I'm making the Jenga tower up of say 30 blocks, which are then put into a single group - then I want to add the script to the group of objects

(depending on what the user has selected/completed there will be blocks that aren't visible which is whiy I need the grouped item to teeter as the tower itself will always be slightly different in the way it looks and won't be a single image)

Now I feel I might have confused things... lol

10 minutes ago, echorley said:

depending on what the user has selected/completed

So it's a configurator of sorts then. That means that either:

1. You have a different video (or GIF) for each possible configuration. Then you swap out which one is shown based on the selection. Or
  2. You have a WebGL model (or models) where you can toggle the display of various parts depending on what the user selected.

In both cases, most of the work will probably be before any code is written. Most of the work is setting up the models and other assets. It'd probably be best to use a program like Blender to create the models. If you haven't done something like this before, it might be worth hiring someone to help you with the models.

In any case, it doesn't seem like you have clear enough requirements for hiring a software developer right now :) 

@echorley, hey I actually work at Articulate as a developer on the rise.com side, though I am familiar with storyline. If you can provide the image you plan to use (the best way to achieve the desired effect is using an SVG image), also if you are able to share the course preview link (with the image you want to animate, also adding in the "Give any object in your Storyline the 'accessibility name' of "myName" " from the https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/gsap-3-5-1-latest-version-is-now-included-in-storyline-360), this way we can see what the DOM elements are so that we can target it to animate it.

I hope that makes sense.

- Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2021 at 8:21 PM, ZachSaucier said:

So it's a configurator of sorts then. That means that either:

1. You have a different video (or GIF) for each possible configuration. Then you swap out which one is shown based on the selection. Or
  2. You have a WebGL model (or models) where you can toggle the display of various parts depending on what the user selected.

In both cases, most of the work will probably be before any code is written. Most of the work is setting up the models and other assets. It'd probably be best to use a program like Blender to create the models. If you haven't done something like this before, it might be worth hiring someone to help you with the models.

In any case, it doesn't seem like you have clear enough requirements for hiring a software developer right now :) 

Using webgl for a simple animation like this will not be a wise thing to do. This can be achieved with gif or svg morphing easily.