Search Community

Transform Rotate changes to Matrix

ferriss test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by PointC,

Hi,

I have an issue where I can set the `transform-origin: x x` with CSS and `transform: rotate(xdeg)` and it works correctly, when moving this into GSAP it changes the transform to matrix and it doesn't transform on the correct access, it actually change the origin to `0 0`, I've I override with CSS it's still wrong but i suspect that's because of the matrix calculation.

Current setup:

```
            var rotate = gsap.timeline({
                scrollTrigger:{
                    trigger: $('.js-animation-dial'),
                    scrub: true,
                    markers: true,
                }
            })
            .to('.svg-dial__dial', {
                rotation: 360*5,
                transformOrigin: '168px 163px',
                ease: 'none',
            })
```

To note, I'm not trying to animate the transformOrigin, that needs to stay the same.

Thanks

6 hours ago, ferriss said:

I can set the `transform-origin: x x` with CSS and `transform: rotate(xdeg)` and it works correctly, when moving this into GSAP it changes the transform to matrix and it doesn't transform on the correct access, it actually change the origin to `0 0`, I've I override with CSS it's still wrong but i suspect that's because of the matrix calculation.

This is all very intentional - There are browser bugs and quirks that this works around. GSAP is protecting you :)

We switch the transformOrigin to 0 0 because if we don't, you'll see funky behavior in Safari, for example. Firefox also has various bugs related to transform-origin on SVG elements. We bake all the calculations into the matrix(), including the origin offsets. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1