Search Community

How to interpret Chrome memory profiling result, memory allocation timeline with GSAP

cadenzah test
Moderator Tag

Hello, I'm maintaining a Vue.js SPA application which uses GSAP for making animations in the webapp. It seemed that memory leaks happened while using animations, so I did memory profiling and I got the result as below:

Please understand that I cannot upload whole specific codes, and instead I would like to ask a question about the way how to interpret the Chrome memory allocation timeline.

screenshot.thumb.png.9acca8c957c2ebe877e53f811fa7ec99.png

1. Is it okay to think as the GSAP animation objects caused the memory leak according to the retainers stack above?

2. In the code, `window.toast` Vue component is animated by GSAP Tween, and after the animation terminates GSAP will wrap up the animation(`kill()`) and the `toast` will remain in the DOM. GSAP Tween object is stored in Vue component's `data`, it is handled for controlling animation purpose, and after the animation terminates that animation object will be assigned `null` so that it can be garbage-collected(I heard that GSAP cleans up all terminated animations in about every 2 seconds for default). But, it seems that even after sufficient amount of time that animation object is not removed according to the result above. It seems this also causes many *Detached HTMLDivElement*s, which leads to memory leaks. I think I thoroughly prevented the memory leak by removing references(assigning `null`), does this mean I'm missing something? Or, is there a performance issue with GSAP and is there a bug that animation objects in `global timeline` do not get cleaned?

Please give me any guess or advice even if it's not accurate answer. I'm so frustrated with this issue lately.

Welcome to the forums @cadenzah

It's pretty hard to make sense of that screenshot without having some code to test to reproduce the issue. There are currently no known memory issues with GSAP, so a minimal demo would go a long way in giving you a better answer.  

All I can say from your description is that you really don't need to put animations inside a data object. The data object is for reactive properties of your component,  but I don't know if removing that will help at all.

I would also check to see how many tweens are actually on the element using gsap.getTweensOf(). If there is more than the 1 you created, then you might have an issue somewhere in your code.

• Like 2