Search Community

Knowing when a timeline ends

PG1 test
Moderator Tag

Hi, 

Is there any event fired, of method I can call to signify a timeline has ended? I'm using a global timeline with many appended children and I need to know when it all ends (it's variable in length) so that I can conditionally render a few other bits.

Feel like gsap is well set up enough to have this covered...

So my new questions is are there any gotchas with onComplete? I just added it with a simple function call to set a state variable in react. It cause my entire animation (and the rest of the page to stop rendering...

Working on a very complex component so won't be easy to strip out - but any general things to be wary of when implementing? It seems to be causing too many re-renders then react errors to stop an infinite loop

18 minutes ago, PG1 said:

It cause my entire animation (and the rest of the page to stop rendering...

Working on a very complex component so won't be easy to strip out - but any general things to be wary of when implementing? It seems to be causing too many re-renders then react errors to stop an infinite loop

There's no way that by adding a simple onComplete it'd cause a bunch of issues in your React app - there must be something else going on, likely in whatever code you're calling in the onComplete. But I can confidently say that you don't need to worry about any caveats related to adding an onComplete to a timeline. It's super simple code internally. Nothing fancy at all. 

I wish I could offer more advice, but without seeing a minimal demo, it's virtually impossible for us to guess at what's going on there. Sorry. If you still need some help, just shoot us a minimal demo and we'd be happy to take a peek. Also, have you see the React article?: https://greensock.com/react