Search Community

Moving element on scroll to another elements coordinate

hello21 test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

Absolutely - that's the perfect job for ScrollTrigger. I'd recommend reading the docs and giving it a shot. If you get stuck post a minimal demo here and we'd be happy to offer advice. You also might want to check out the ScrollTrigger Demos - there are a lot that might inspire you. Your image made me think of this one a bit: 

See the Pen rNOBLBV by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the docs. You can provide your own coordinates.

https://greensock.com/docs/v3/Plugins/MotionPathPlugin

// plot a curve through these coordinates. The target's current coordinates will automatically be added to the start:
motionPath: [{x:100, y:50}, {x:200, y:0}, {x:300, y:100}]

// cubic bezier coordinates (anchor, two control points, anchor, two control points, etc.):
motionPath: {
  path: [{x:0, y:0}, {x:20, y:0}, {x:30, y:50}, {x:50, y:50}],
  type: "cubic"
}

Or you can manipulate the path data string if you understand path commands.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/d

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OSUblake said:

Check out the docs. You can provide your own coordinates.

https://greensock.com/docs/v3/Plugins/MotionPathPlugin

// plot a curve through these coordinates. The target's current coordinates will automatically be added to the start:
motionPath: [{x:100, y:50}, {x:200, y:0}, {x:300, y:100}]

// cubic bezier coordinates (anchor, two control points, anchor, two control points, etc.):
motionPath: {
  path: [{x:0, y:0}, {x:20, y:0}, {x:30, y:50}, {x:50, y:50}],
  type: "cubic"
}

Or you can manipulate the path data string if you understand path commands.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/d

Hi @OSUblake i have done the same thing , please check my codepen

See the Pen ExXGEMJ by gaurav501 (@gaurav501) on CodePen

I want to move the first element through each green box and stop exactly at the position of the last green box

• 1 year later...

Hi, thanks @OSUblake for your code it helped me a lot. I just have a problem how to add in the above code to enlarge the square before the second point, and when we reach the second point then reduce the square to the starting value. I tried with adding
tl.to(scrollItem, { scale: 3, duration: 3 }, 6);

But then the animation speeds up terribly. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi @chester,

It's pretty tough to troubleshoot without a minimal demo - the issue could be caused by CSS, markup, a third party library, your browser, an external script that's totally unrelated to GSAP, etc. Would you please provide a very simple CodePen or CodeSandbox that demonstrates the issue? 

Please don't include your whole project. Just some colored <div> elements and the GSAP code is best (avoid frameworks if possible). See if you can recreate the issue with as few dependancies as possible. If not, incrementally add code bit by bit until it breaks. Usually people solve their own issues during this process! If not, then at least we have a reduced test case which greatly increases your chances of getting a relevant answer.

Here's a starter CodePen that loads all the plugins. Just click "fork" at the bottom right and make your minimal demo

See the Pen aYYOdN by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

If you're using something like React/Next/Vue/Nuxt or some other framework, you may find StackBlitz easier to use. We have a series of collections with different templates for you to get started on these different frameworks: React/Next/Vue/Nuxt.

Once we see an isolated demo, we'll do our best to jump in and help with your GSAP-specific questions.