Search Community

SVG Globe Animation

polymedia test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

I would like to animate the "arms" on the globe. Something like in this pen, so that they move constantly: 

See the Pen PyGqwa by aado29 (@aado29) on CodePen

For this I have created a SVG, but im not quite sure how to achieve this animation with GSAP. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Best regards

Andi

See the Pen WNOrxjg by polymedia (@polymedia) on CodePen

Hey Cassie,

thanks for your reply! I added some lines (the red ones) which are not moving like the rest. It seems to be off because of the duration and delay. I want them to move in a fluid motion like in the example pen. I tried to calculate the position in the callback, but that was pretty performance heavy. Is there a simple way to do it, which im not seeing :)?

Thanks for the help!

Regards

Andi

It's not off because of the duration and delay. The logic only works when the lines and dots match up

For example - The red lines connecting two white dots would be moving at both ends so they would need both of the x and y coordinates updated. Whereas some others don't. There's also more lines than dots now.

The current loop will no longer work because the consistent pattern is no longer there.

In order to get this working you'll likely need to do a little bit of manual grouping - work out which parts need to move in unison and animate them together.
I'm sure there's a more programmatic route here but it's probably going to overcomplicate things.

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 10.28.50.png

e.g. (pseudocode)

let anim1 = gsap.timeline({
  repeat:-1, 
  yoyo:true,
}) 
.to(dot[4], {cx:'+=10'})
.to(lines[2], {x1:'+=10'})
.to(lines[4], {x1:'+=10'})

let anim2 = gsap.timeline({
  repeat:-1, 
  yoyo:true,