Search Community

Where can I learn more advanced topics of scroll-based animations?

sashaikevich test
Moderator Tag

Let me begin by saying that this community is fantastic! Over the last few years I picked up a wealth of knowledge, and feel comfortable recreating most animations individually. 

What I feel I need now, is a deeper understanding of the more advanced stuff. Topics like:
-  How to monitor if the element is on screen and/or best practices for handling the listeners to minimise resource load (by throttling, by destroying listeners, etc)

- Scroll smoothing approaches (via a library like locomotive or using gsap's scrub)

Basically I want to take a deep dive into how sites likes these are made: https://ferrumpipe.com, https://revistaelduende.com

Have you any forum posts or external resources / tutorials (free or paid) that you can point me to?

Thank you!

My video on Locomotive Scroll and GSAP has helped quite a few people get up and running

My course ScrollTrigger Express addresses many common issues that come up in these forums and I've been going into responsive, scrolldriven animations as well as doing some helpful demo destructions. Although I do very comprehensive explanations of ScrollTrigger's core features, I wouldn't claim for it to be an "advanced" course.

Id say 80% of the cool ScrollTrigger effects have more to do with having a solid understanding of building the effects with GSAP than controlling them with ScrollTrigger. But it seems you have a good handle of that stuff. I also tend to stay away from "performance" topics as there are so many variables that there is rarely a silver-bullet solution. FWIW ScrollTrigger internally has loads of optimizations to deliver amazing resuls.

Also, I'm 100% confident that the next release of GSAP will have some very cool ScrollTrigger features that you will appreciate, but I'm not at liberty to discuss them. trust me ;)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Carl, I recognize your logo! I've been watching your youtube videos! Thanks for the link. Your Beyond The Basics series might be what I"m looking for. I'll have to check that out,... and check out Framer Motion. I'm not sure yet which deep dive I want to take. There's just so much interesting stuff to learn, you know. Anyway, thanks!