Search Community

Accessibility in Banners in 2021

howeller test
Moderator Tag

I was wondering if anyone's had any experience with building ADA compliant banners. We've been getting more requests from clients for this, but have not found much guidance on it (looking at you IAB). From what I understand using semantic HTML tags + the aria attribute works for the most part to make a banner readable for sighted and unsighted users, but I've no idea how to setup something built in Animate outside hiding duplicate content in hidden tags.

Thanks in advance.

Animate exports to canvas, which is just a bunch of pixels that can't be read by screen readers. It seems like a good idea to add fallback text and Aria attributes in the html. You might also use javascript to add keyboard access to interactive elements.

I spent ten years building banners, and never heard a peep about accessibility. Glad to hear it's becoming a consideration. Anyone using a screen reader is probably using an ad blocker too, but you might as well add some text so they can read it if they want to.

I don't imagine that ads (served in iFrames) would prevent a site from being ADA compliant, since they come from a different domain.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Any idea how to reassign a tab index to elements?  I am actually using Animate CC canvas. I have buttons I randomized the y position but I want to be able to assign tabindex to them. I wrote a function to do it. the console tells me they are assigned but they do not take.