Search Community

GSAP Utils

Wizard of Oz test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

Hi,

I read a story by PointC which told of his journey into GSAP & Javascript, in that post he gave advices to newbies (like me) to start small and challenged us to share what we create. I believe the exact words were "come out of the shadows" :) So in the spirit of obedience, I am sharing this very very basic tini tiny pen which I used to practise my understanding of the GSAP Utils method. I must admit it feels a bit stupid sharing such a basic thing but please delete this if the forum is not meant for such :) But to you reading right now with a much firmer understanding of the GSAP Utils method. Is this the correct way of doing it as noted here? Thank you for all the advices in advance.

See the Pen dyRbxLp by martinkariuki7-the-looper (@martinkariuki7-the-looper) on CodePen

• Like 2

Hi @Wizard of Oz

Thanks for sharing! It's good to start small. I wish more people took that advice. 

And your loop is good. The point of a loop is to keep your code DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself). Without the loop, your code would be much longer.

Have you checked out this video?

And related demo...

See the Pen RwbLVpW by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 3

Hi @OSUblake

Any advice on how I can make this pen DRY? I am aware that it's very verbose as it is. I tried using the utility.Array method but I was unable to target only the content that's supposed to open when you click on "read full bio." I checked other forum questions pertaining expand/collapse, accordion etc. But most are in jQuery and I am struggling to understand the logic. Anyway, thanks in advance for any tips, tricks & recommendations :)

Edit: For some reason you have to click on the "read full bio" button twice before it starts working. 

See the Pen ExXxLmr by martinkariuki7-the-looper (@martinkariuki7-the-looper) on CodePen

Edited by Wizard of Oz
Edit: For some reason you have to click on the "read full bio" button twice before it starts working. 

• Solution
7 hours ago, Wizard of Oz said:

Your timeline is paused and not reversed, so it's calling reverse on the first click. Next time you click, it will be reversed, so it will call play. A good way to handle that is not pause your animation, and add .reverse() to the end, which will put the animation in a state ready to play on the first click.

7 hours ago, Wizard of Oz said:

Any advice on how I can make this pen DRY?

You can select children elements, kind of like jQuery find, using querySelector and querySelectorAll. If you need to select multiple children, you can use GSAP's selector utility.

See the Pen wveaaOx by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@OSUblake

See the Pen vYZabyE by martinkariuki7-the-looper (@martinkariuki7-the-looper) on CodePen

Thanks for sharing the utility intro video again. As promised I put it into some use and I am here to trouble you with some more questions :))

Is there a better way of doing the below? Currently I am just "ifing" all conditions everything and I assume that's not the best practise? Is it possible to listen to each snap and load the images and time from an object? Is that even doable? :)

TIA

43 minutes ago, Wizard of Oz said:

Is there a better way of doing the below? Currently I am just "ifing" all conditions everything and I assume that's not the best practise?

I think you had the right idea with your timeLapse object. You can get the object using bracket notation

let item = timeLapse[value]; 

See the Pen QWgBeoG by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1