Search Community

Draggable and resetting to original x/y coordinates?

neb test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

Hello,

I am struggling with something, and I know from reading other threads that x/y coords system is can of worms, but... :)

I have simple system that you drag and drop a series of blocks onto a hitarea. If the block misses its intended target it returns to its start position. If a block hits the hitarea it would then position to an area within the hitarea. If you frag the item out of the hit area it would return to its original x/y coords when the page was loaded.

I have looked at startX and startY, but once a draggable is repositioned its startX and startY (0 and 0) are updated to it's new position. 

What is the best way to position a Draggable to a x/y coord within its bounds element? Or I suppose the question could be, how do you position a draggable in a global positioning system.

Hopefully this makes sense. There's a code pen attached.

Thanks!

See the Pen MWmMBVB by nebrekab (@nebrekab) on CodePen

@OSUblake thanks for the swift reply and the welcome! 

Okay, so the 0,0 x/y coords pass will reset it to its starting transform coords, great.

And if you wanted to pin it to a specific position in the pink area, once it hits, how would that be achieved? Is it possible to get the pink areas x/y coords and then position it with some logic based on that? 

I certainly am. Thanks for the pointers and the demo!

So appreciative of the support and the amazing GSAP library.

One last questions, actually, I see you use gsap.to() and not TweenLite.to() - is the gsap version a wrapper for this same functionality? Is there a benefit to not using the TweenLite approach and vice-versa?