Search Community

textPlugin & accessibility

frank_47340 test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

I tried textPlugin with screenreader (NVDA). It is in a aria-live region. Is not working well because the screenreader starts reading the begin of the sentence multiple times. Each time half the way of a sentence it begins again at the beginning. This is not very user-friendly. I think it is a good idea to warn the users of gsap in the docs?

I think a workaround could be to dynamically add and remove aria-live. Something like

document.getElementById("text").setAttribute("role", "alert");
and
document.getElementById("text").removeAttribute("role", "alert");
together with onComplete

But I doubt if this is a good practice. My point is that it would be very nice when there is a warning in the docs of textPlugin. For now I choose an other type of animation.

I'll do some tests and update the docs.

I wouldn't recommend using aria live though, all aria live looks for is that the element's been updated and then reads out the changes, so yep - it would start from the beginning of the sentence each time.

I would recommend different approaches for heading, vs a lot of paragraph text, but what I've done in the past is set the textPlugin div to aria-hidden and create a duplicate visually hidden div with all the text in.

• Like 6