Search Community

Accessing loader content

bartpop test
Moderator Tag

I'm having trouble figuring out the correct syntax to access my content. I'm hoping you can set me straight :?

I have a SWFLoader that loads it's content into a container Sprite that I created, like so:

myContainer = new Sprite();
addChildAt(myContainer,0);

var myLoader:SWFLoader = new SWFLoader(mySWF.swf, {name:"mySWF", container:myContainer});
myLoader.load();

I'm trying to access a public function that was part of the mySWF class definition, but can't figure out the syntax to get at it. myContainer.getChildAt(0).name returns "mySWF", (type = "ContentDisplay"). How would I access a function "myFunction" that's part of the mySWF class? I've tried every combination I can think of: myContainer.getChildAt(0).myFunction, myContainer.getChildAt(0).content.myFunction, myContainer.getChildAt(0).rawContent.myFunction... just can't seem to find the correct path.

Or simply cast the rawContent as an Object, like Object(myLoader.rawContent).myFunction()

The issue simply has to do with data typing in Flash and the compiler sees that rawContent is technically a DisplayObject and not all DisplayObjects have a "myFunction()" function, so it burps. If, however, you type it as an Object or MovieClip (assuming your root class did indeed extend a MovieClip), those are "dynamic" classes that can contain pretty much any property/method, so the compiler doesn't complain.

Hope that makes sense.