Search Community

Reveal overflow content on mousemove: parent container width update

gweatherson test
Moderator Tag

Brand new to gsap, bear with me please.

I'm looking to update the green container width to 100% the further in on mouse move a user gets.

Instead of every child scaling and warping I'd like it to "reveal" on mouse move and reset as it is. Hope this makes sense.

Inspiration: https://theendless.co

See the Pen yLbPKjg by gweatherson (@gweatherson) on CodePen

Hey there!

I was interested myself and as it is the case just so often, this is a perfect example for why GSAP's utils are so useful - they make something like this a real breeze.

I'm making use of a clip-path here in combination with mapRange() to get the correct percentage-value for where to set the points of the clipPath that need to be moved on mousemove.

Clippy is a really useful tool for visualizing clip-paths and understanding how they work.

I guess this can be optimized even further by making use of quickSetter() but I'm happy with it for now - and for now it should be enough to serve as a starting point to get a grasp of a possible concept for something like that. Hope that comes in helpful :) 

See the Pen 214c5b72c9db18cfb76893b543dd3c07 by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

• Like 4

My pleasure :) 

Well, I also just took a closer look at the website you linked to, and noticed that they don't even make use of clip-path.

On there, it actually is a slightly different markup with regard to usage of elements from the one in my demo alongside changing the 'right' property of the projects section on mousemove, with some clever CSS positioning (a fair bit different from my demo, with overflow: hidden on the different sections as a key element) to make it work properly in the first place, when changing the projects section's 'right' value. So as in most cases, there are several different ways to get things running.

1 hour ago, gweatherson said:

I'll dig more into quickSetter and some easing capabilities

If I understand correctly, what it is you mean by easing, you should be able to just change the gsap.set to a gsap.to tween and specify a duration to what feels good for you. I'm not exactly sure about performance with that, since it worked fine for me and I did not test on any other devices, but I'm sure if that is a horrible idea per se, someone will jump in.

Happy exploring and happy tweening.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

quicksetter is for when you're manually updating a property, like in the cursor animation code. It's faster than using .set() if you have to keep updating the same property. Since you're doing an animation for the clipPath, you don't need to worry about that.

If want to optimize stuff, you should only check for innerWidth on resize, and use the function that is returned by mapRange. Parsing complex eases, like slow ease, would also help. 

But those are micro-optimizations. You're probably not going to notice a difference.

See the Pen PomVamm by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 5