Search Community

Choppy Scrolltrigger animations working with .webm files

Ravi Zala test
Moderator Tag

When it comes to scrubbing video, there are two keys (which are completely unrelated to ScrollTrigger/GSAP):

1. Keyframe encoding (frequency). The more keyframes you have in the encoding, the smoother scrub you'll get, and of course the bigger your video file will be. 
  2. Complexity of the codec. A lot of devices have MP4 decoders baked into the chip, so you get automatic hardware acceleration. If the CPU has to constantly be decoding while scrubbing, it could bog down. 
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, GreenSock said:

When it comes to scrubbing video, there are two keys (which are completely unrelated to ScrollTrigger/GSAP):

1. Keyframe encoding (frequency). The more keyframes you have in the encoding, the smoother scrub you'll get, and of course the bigger your video file will be. 
  2. Complexity of the codec. A lot of devices have MP4 decoders baked into the chip, so you get automatic hardware acceleration. If the CPU has to constantly be decoding while scrubbing, it could bog down. 

I agree with you on this one. But the issue is animations are lagging in different devices. For some devices animations are smooth and for some they are not. Could you please tell me if this is something we can handle through coding or changing the scroll-trigger properties. Currently, I have set the Scrub to true and Pin to true

57 minutes ago, Ravi Zala said:

But the issue is animations are lagging in different devices

Are you talking about the GSAP animations or the video playback? 

57 minutes ago, Ravi Zala said:

Could you please tell me if this is something we can handle through coding or changing the scroll-trigger properties.

It's pretty much impossible for us to diagnose blind. Performance audits are very expensive time-wise and it's a deep topic with many factors. It's not something we offer for free in these forums. These are for GSAP-specific questions but if you need more custom consulting, feel free to either post in the Jobs & Freelance forum or contact us if you'd like our [paid] help. 

2 hours ago, GreenSock said:

Are you talking about the GSAP animations or the video playback? 

It's pretty much impossible for us to diagnose blind. Performance audits are very expensive time-wise and it's a deep topic with many factors. It's not something we offer for free in these forums. These are for GSAP-specific questions but if you need more custom consulting, feel free to either post in the Jobs & Freelance forum or contact us if you'd like our [paid] help. 

I am talking about the animations while scrolling. They are choppy when for some devices and for they are not. 

11 minutes ago, Ravi Zala said:

I am talking about the animations while scrolling. They are choppy when for some devices and for they are not. 

Yeah, sorry, we can't troubleshoot blind. I wish I had more to offer. Like I said, if you need further help like with a performance audit and custom consulting for a fee, you are welcome to contact us. In the vast majority of cases (99%+), the performance issues have absolutely nothing to do with GSAP. They're almost always related to graphics rendering in the DOM.