Search Community

Custom wiggle combined with scrolltrigger

Jloafs test
Moderator Tag

Hey guys

I'm trying to apply a repeating wiggle on an element that also changes its Y value using scroll trigger - ie the element is continuously wiggling regardless of scroll but the Y position change is triggered on scroll. Is that even possible? currently I seem to be able to achieve only one or the other.

Thanks guys - I put this together as a demo: 

See the Pen xxqQGgB by Jloafs (@Jloafs) on CodePen

I'm trying to animate the blue box (a psuedo element). So far the custom wiggle seems to work but not the scrolltrigger Y behaviour.

I tried using yPercent in the scroll trigger but it didn't seem to work either. Any help solving this would be amazing.

Thanks Cassie, great pen.

I haven't done anything that way before (the use of variables etc) - very interesting. I'm slightly struggling to work out how to apply a rotation to the wiggle. Any thoughts on how that would be achieved?

Oh - just when I thought it was working…

I forgot to mention that my project is built with scss. The css variable approach clashes.

Is there a scss based way of doing this Cassie?

Many thanks for your help.

SCSS variable and CSS variables shouldn't 'clash' - they achieve different purposes. 

CSS custom properties are evaluated by the browser at runtime. SCSS variables aren't, think of CSS vars as a bridge between CSS and Javascript.

• Like 2

Thanks Cassie.

Obviously my diagnosis of the isue was completely wrong lol.

I just can't translate what's working in the pen into my actual project.

The scroll trigger animating of the --y variable seems to work but not the custom wiggle.

:-(

So what I'd probably do is try to narrow down the issue.

Can you apply a simple tween to a DOM element, without CSS vars, using the custom wiggle?

If you can then try with CSS vars, then with a pseudo element, then you'll know where the issue is. I suspect it's an issue with including customEase or customWiggle? 

Let me know how you get on!

• Like 1