Search Community

Do i need to include scrolltrigger and scrollto plugins along with gsap?

Rajan test
Moderator Tag

I am very much confused with the all these libraries..  On the homepage it says all in one .. You just need to import gsap single file.  

Then on examples i see people have included scrollTo and scrolltrigger separately. 

Then i see all these libraries are paid.

There is no simple table which can tell the difference  between free and paid gsap apart from community benefits. 

Is it like we get some features in pro that are not in free version?? 

If that is the case all of those codepen are useless for newcomers, because i might be trying hours on some feature which is eventually paid and i am not aware of those. 

Please can you please resolve the questions ? 

Welcome to the forums, @Rajan! I'm so sorry to hear about the confusion. 

The main GSAP file is incredibly capable. In fact, I'd estimate that 90%+ of our users only need that one file to accomplish what they want. But there are some special cases where you need extra capabilities for niche things like morphing SVGs, splitting text, doing advanced "Flip" animations, crafting custom eases, etc. - it wouldn't make sense to shove ALL of those things into the core JavaScript file because it would end up being massive. We've engineered the platform to use a plugin architecture so that it's simple to just load the individual plugins that you need for special tasks. That keeps file size down and the API relatively focused. 

Again, the core GSAP file can literally animate any property of any object that JavaScript can touch. There are quite a few eases built in too. 

The "GSAP 3 Overview" on the home page of the docs shows exactly what is in the core, which other plugins are available, and which ones are for Club GreenSock members only. Those bonus ones are a way we say "thank you" to our supporters. There's simply no way we could build, maintain, and support these tools without Club GreenSock. Note that these forums have over 100,000 posts and a pretty amazing community eager to help. 

I'd estimate that well over 95%+ of our users never pay us anything. I'd encourage you to read the following article that explains the "why" behind our licensing and the reason it's actually better for end users:

There are special versions of our Club Member-only plugins that work on CodePen, making them all "free" to use on that domain. 

To answer your original question, yes, if you want to use ScrollTrigger and ScrollToPlugin, you'd need to load those in addition to the core GSAP file. And those are all covered under the standard "no charge" license, so you don't need a Club GreenSock membership to use them unless you're using them in a site/product/app for which multiple users are charged a fee - that's when you need the special commercial license that comes with Business Green memberships. 

By the way, you mentioned that the GreenSock.com home page says all you need is one file for everything - can you offer more specifics about where I can find that? I don't see any statements like that, but maybe I'm missing something. 

Anyway, welcome again to the neighborhood. I think you'll like it around here. And once you get up to speed on the tools, I'm confident you'll see why they're so popular. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. 

Happy tweening!

• Like 1

Great thanks for the prompt response. The all in one i have read somewhere in the migration guide.. that you merged Tweenmax and others plugins in one core gsap. May be i could have misinterpreted. 

Also regarding the features table thanks for mentioning but i believe, docs page is not the appropriate section to put paid features table. 

May be  similiar to pricing page in any other website we see, that would be more easy to find. 

I never visited the docs page.. I simply google the term whose documentation i need to read and it simply lands me to that page or in other cases the getting started page is more good for a quick overview. 

Also,  I was trying to learn the fundamentals and i see there is too much to do here.. docs are well maintained but still learning curve is little steep.

I was struggling with the snapping on parallax sections, i have tried implementing the exact same technique as in your forums ... spend 10+ hours read 20+ gsap forums topics but still don't know why exact same thing failing in my web structure..  

I shall create a basic codepen to replicate and share here.  Thanks. 

10 hours ago, Rajan said:

The all in one i have read somewhere in the migration guide.. that you merged Tweenmax and others plugins in one core gsap. May be i could have misinterpreted. 

Ah yes, in the old (v2 and earlier) versions there were 4 different files (TweenLite, TweenMax, TimelineLite and TimelineMax) that were all merged into ONE file in GSAP 3. It sounds like you read that to mean that ALL of the plugins were merged in too which isn't the case. Sorry about any confusion there. 

10 hours ago, Rajan said:

Also regarding the features table thanks for mentioning but i believe, docs page is not the appropriate section to put paid features table. 

May be  similiar to pricing page in any other website we see, that would be more easy to find. 

We'll certainly consider that. I can see how that would be intuitive for someone who just wants to find out how much things cost but there are a few challenges:

1. How would that flow with the "Club GreenSock" page? Would it replace it? If not, would that cause confusion especially for someone coming to the site wondering "what's this Club GreenSock thing I've heard about?" (and they don't see clear navigation options for it). 
  2. It may imply that GreenSock tools cost something, but in the vast majority of cases that isn't really true. I fear the presence of that simple menu option may scare people away unnecessarily and give the wrong impression. Then again, I can absolutely see value in having a very clear "Pricing" page on which we can try to communicate the "free" option(s). 

Thanks for the feedback. If you (or anyone) have other suggestions that'd address these concerns, I'd love to hear them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rajan said:

I think I'd have to agree with this, I know myself I have to evaluate a lot of plugins in the wordpress work I do and the fist thing I look for is a pricing page to find out what's what. In virtually every such page I've seen there if there is a free option/version it is always highlighted.

I might suggest going to four columns and adding a panel specifying that the core engine is free. As far as Club Greensock goes you could  preserve brand equity just fine and make it easier to understand if you just changed the menu link to Club GreenSock Pricing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Visual-Q said:

In virtually every such page I've seen there if there is a free option/version it is always highlighted.

This has been my experience too. Even if they don't offer a free version of something, I don't immediately click off the page if the product can demonstrate enough value to me.